This question has been flagged
4 Replies

I want to use accounting in Odoo. I came accross the concept of Account Types. What are Account Types used for?

Discard
Author Best Answer

Account Types, linked to accounts, allow you to group your accounts in a different way. Furthermore, account types determine how accounts will be treated at financial year closing. They are also used for reporting purposes.

To access Account Types from the menu, you have to assign Technical Features to your user from the menu Settings > Users > Users. In Usabilty, tick Technical Features. Save and refresh, for instance by clicking your company logo in Odoo.

Predefined Charts of Accounts (through localisations) might come with preconfigured account types too. To add, modify or delete existing account types, go to the menu Accounting > Configuration > Accounts > Account Types.

The fields used to define an account type are the following:

• Account Type: the name of the account type.
  • Code: the code of the account type.
  • P&L / BS Category: this category determines where in the Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss reports the account will be printed. 

There are five types you can use: 

1. No type at all (/), 
  2. Profit & Loss (Income account),
  3. Profit & Loss (Expense account),
  4. Balance Sheet (Asset account = active), 
  5. Balance Sheet (Liability account = passive).
  • Deferral Method: this field indicates how and whether the account will be transferred at financial year closing.
  1. None means that the account will not be transferred. Typically used for profit and loss accounts.
  2. Balance means that the account balance will be transferred at year closing. Typically used for balance sheet accounts.
  3. Detail means that every single entry will be transferred to the next financial year.
  4. Unreconciled means that only unreconciled (outstanding) entries will be transferred to the next financial year. Typically used for centralisation accounts (accounts payable / accounts receivable).

Use the View type for accounts that make up the structure of the charts and have no account data inputs of their own.

The Entries Analysis reporting is based on account types, and displays debit, credit and balance per account type.

Discard

seems one has to follow your posts and read the new documentation first hand ...

Best Answer

Can someone please tell me how to do this in Odoo 11? The menu's apparently have changed, so I cannot find the page to set account types.

Discard
Best Answer

Follow below steps on Odoo 15 with developer mode.

1. Settings > Technical > User Interface > Grouby Menu
    1. Menu Item > Accounting
      1. subitem > configuration
        1. subitem > account
          1. add new line > Accounting type and set values below
            1. Menu : Accounting Types, Parent: Accounting/Config/Accounting, Action: ir.action.act_window : Account Types

After follow above steps, one could see Account Types under Configuration menu of Accounting app.

Thanks!

Discard

Thanks, very helpful

can this be use in odoo 16, to add a new account type

Hi Jeht, I just tried with odoo 16 community without accounting module and it has no option like what I said. It would be great to see your test result if you are testing with accounting module and odoo 16.

Best Answer

Hi, hope you well! actually odoo10,11 and 12 does not allow to create account type in front end. Please refer the following link

https://apps.odoo.com/apps/modules/10.0/skit_account_type/

Thank and regards,

Dhivya

Discard