This question has been flagged
7 Replies

(Note: this piggy-backs on my 'Letter of Credit & Bank Reconciliation' question dated 10/28/2018 in which I learned that journal entries do not show up in the reconciliation process but journal items do).

It is not uncommon for business owners to put personal funds into their business ventures.  One way that this can be done is to receive a line of credit from a bank, usually using collateral like a home equity loan.  Toward this end, the bank creates a bank account (call it BANK 1234).  If the borrower writes a check against this bank account then it essentially means that they are taking out a loan and, so, I have created a current liability account that we can call BANK 1234 Loan).

A journal entry would record a $100 draw against the Line of Credit as

Debit                Credit

BANK1234                                                    $100

BANK1234 Loan                                                                        $100

As I learned, this entry would not show up during the bank reconciliation process because it it is a journal entry and not a journal item.

How does one create a journal item that records a transaction like that described above so that when a bank statement comes in showing that $100 had been loaned and a deposit made into the bank account it will have a corresponding entry to reconcile against?  Note that my bank actually gave me a checkbook to write checks with for Bank 1234.  If it simplifies the question, how is a journal item created that shows a $100 deposit into a bank account and a corresponding $100 increase in an owner's equity account?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Discard

Would you mind to talk to your accountant first in order to make your problem understandable? Can you provide the complete postings/entries when for example buying a chair against this bank account? A credit line usually simply leads to a negative balance on a bank account. I do not get your problem.

Ermin,
I tried to respond to your email through the Community Help forum...thank you for taking the time to try to help me address this issue.  Scott

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 9:58 PM Ermin Trevisan <trevi@twanda.com> wrote:

A new answer on How to create journal item for line of credit has been posted. Click here to access the post :

See post

Sent by Odoo S.A. using Odoo.

--
Scott H Bellows
Business Systems Coordinator
shbellows@zerowastechallenge.biz
Best Answer

It seems like one of your accounts is a liability account and one is a bank account.

You could try using a bank transfer or liquidity transfer account then you create a journal entry for the loan/liability crediting the liability and debiting the bank transfer account 

then for the bank account you would not use a journal but rather bank statement to recieve the money in which would show up in reconciliation thus debiting the bank account and crediting the bank transfer account 

this would then be able to be reconciled like normal on the bank account 

Discard
Author Best Answer

Mmmm, I thought that I posted something this morning but don't see it so will try to re-post it now.

Ref:

1. https://www.nonprofitaccountingbasics.org/accounting-bookkeeping/line-credit

2. https://bizfluent.com/info-7735969-accounting-recording-line-credit-entries.html

3.  https://investinganswers.com/financial-dictionary/debt-bankruptcy/line-credit-loc-1733

I am not an accountant but can assure you that my bank used my house as collateral to issue me a line of credit and if I don't pay it back they can foreclose on my home. The links above say as much.

In response to Ermin's comment, my challenge is not how to record an expenditure 'after' the money is reflected in my bank account (such as paying for a chair).  Rather, the challenge is showing how the money was deposited there to begin with.  My understanding is that, using a journal entry, I would debit the bank account and credit the liability account in a like amount.  The problem is that while I can do this with a journal entry, journal entries do not show up when reconciling my bank account through Odoo.  I have tried to elaborate on this a little more here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7j3vvidla15d8g1/ReceiveMoneyOptions_temp.docx?dl=0

Thank you for taking the time to review this and any constructive suggestions on how to proceed. 

ADDENDUM:  After some additional research I believe that I've come up with a solution to the problem described above.  I've included images for ease of reading so, for those who may be interested, please read this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qyzvopu2ke08y8h/Solution.pdf?dl=0

Discard

See my amended answer, it may be of better help now.

Best Answer

If your question is to balance the $100 Debit in the account Bank 1234 which is actually coming from the Shareholder's equity then technically speaking it would be another journal entry related to you "Letter of credit" which is  credit $100 to Bank 1234 against debit of $100 towards shareholder's equity.

You may still consult a chartered accountant to check if LoCs are accounted for this way.

Discard
Best Answer

Your collateral does not create a loan and not a owner's equity account. It also does not create funds on your bank account. The links you have provided do not relate to the act of securization of a line of credit nor the establishing of equity on your collateral. It is simply the way of accounting of funds drawn from a line of credit.

According to my knowledge, a line of credit is a limit to which a bank account may be credited. Therefore the bank account balance gets negative and the account becomes a liability instead of an asset. It is possible to use to separate accounts depending on the sign of the balance for this, but I see no use for that, it is unnecessary complexity as long as there is no legal requirement.

However, if you want to reconcile bank transactions with regular accounts (such as liabilities accounts), you can define reconciliation models. I use such models for example for directly posting to and reconciling bank transactions with shareholder's current accounts or expenses, such as gas expenses and the like.

Discard