This question has been flagged
1 Reply

This must've been asked a million times before, but I have a really hard time finding an answer.

We give customers credit they can use with us when they return the bags we use for shipping. It's also possible that we do partial refunds on orders as credit.

How on earth do we accomplish that?

Discard
Best Answer

Refund Invoices are used for this.  They can be created from the original Invoice (Click Refund Invoice), or on their own.  

They are managed via Accounting --> Customers --> Customer Refunds

See also https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/partial-refund-option-in-openerp-13419

Discard
Author

So that's about as far as I got. I don't understand how I can pay with the customers credit. I don't understand how I can see how much credit a customer has. When I pay a refund invoice it seem to me like the system thinks the money has just left the system.

A refund invoice is like a regular invoice. It stays open (money hasn't changed hands) until you record a payment (send the money to the customer, or apply the refund invoice to another invoice). When you record a payment from a customer who has an unpaid refund invoice, it will show up below the invoices they need to pay as a credit that can be applied.

1) Invoice customer for $500; 2) Validate a Refund invoice for $250; 3) Record a payment for $250, you will see the credit of $250 and the $500 invoice will be fully paid if you apply the credit to increase the total amount that can be allocated to $500.

Author

Is it correct to say then that you can't use the refund invoice to pay via the normal Order -> invoice -> pay invoice process? The way to via credit note towards my order invoice is to go via accounting -> customer payment?

Correct.