This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I have a new instance of v11 on Odoo.sh and am using the Odoo default mail server. When any notification or message (from Discuss or Project Tasks) is sent to a user and they try to reply to it via email, they get the following bounce message. Are there changes needed to the default configuration for this to work?

This is the mail system at host smtp38.relay.iad3a.emailsrvr.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can

delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<catchall@#####.odoo.com>: host ampp3.odoo.com[146.148.95.232] said:

550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (in reply to end of

DATA command)

Discard
Best Answer

The default configuration of Odoo.sh instances should work.

The catchall address must use a domain which is associated to Odoo.sh database.

e.g.
If your database can be accessed using yourcompany.odoo.com,
the catchall domain can be @yourcompany.odoo.com.

This is the default configuration done for new Odoo.sh databases.

If you setup a custom domain in your Odoo.sh project settings, you can use that domain as well.

e.g. 
you configure mail.yourcompany.com in your custom domain in your Odoo.sh project settings,
then you can use @mail.yourcompany.com.

Of course, in your domain registrars, you need to create a MX record mail.yourcompany.com pointing on yourcompany.odoo.com.

That said, after viewing your database logs, I do not believe the issue comes from a mis-configuration of your email alias. Indeed, evidences the replies arrived can be found in your logs, but Odoo couldn't find the original message to which this reply is addressed:

/home/odoo/logs/odoo.log.1:2018-07-13 15:47:38,036 4 ERROR xxxxxxxxxxx-xxxxxx-odoo-com-xxxxxx-xxxxx odoo.addons.mail.models.mail_thread: No possible route found for incoming message from "Bruce Letterle- xxx xxx Xxxxx" <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxx.com> to "Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxx" <catchall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.odoo.com> (Message-Id <1531496852.795812487@mail.emailsrvr.com>:). Create an appropriate mail.alias or force the destination model.
/home/odoo/logs/odoo.log.1:Traceback (most recent call last):
/home/odoo/logs/odoo.log.1:  File "<string>", line 6, in <module>
/home/odoo/logs/odoo.log.1:  File "/home/odoo/src/odoo/addons/mail/models/mail_thread.py", line 1300, in message_process
/home/odoo/logs/odoo.log.1:    routes = self.message_route(msg_txt, msg, model, thread_id, custom_values)
/home/odoo/logs/odoo.log.1:  File "/home/odoo/src/odoo/addons/mass_mailing/models/mail_thread.py", line 31, in message_route
/home/odoo/logs/odoo.log.1:    return super(MailThread, self).message_route(message, message_dict, model, thread_id, custom_values)
/home/odoo/logs/odoo.log.1:  File "/home/odoo/src/odoo/addons/mail/models/mail_thread.py", line 1184, in message_route
/home/odoo/logs/odoo.log.1:    (email_from, email_to, message_id)
/home/odoo/logs/odoo.log.1:ValueError: No possible route found for incoming message from "Bruce Letterle- xxx xxx xxxxx" <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxx.com> to "Xxxxxx Xxxxxxxxxx" <catchall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.odoo.com> (Message-Id <1531496852.795812487@mail.emailsrvr.com>:). Create an appropriate mail.alias or force the destination model.

What's important when a customer reply is sent to your database is:
 - the fact it uses your catchall address as the recipient (catchall@yourcompany.odoo.com),
 - the message as in its `references`header the `message-id` to which it replies, so Odoo can find back the original message to which this email is addressed.

The fact Odoo couldn't find a possible route for your message can have multiple causes:
 - The document from which the original mail was sent has been deleted,
 - The customer used the button "New mail" and copy/pasted the recipient instead of using the "Reply" button, in such a case the `message-id`is not set in the `references` header of the email,
 - The email client does not respect the email protocol and omit to set the `references` header correctly,
 - The email server from which was sent the reply drops the `references` header.

From experience, the most-likely cause is one of the two firsts stated above.

Discard
Best Answer

Indeed, it is crazy that such a basic feature as email delivery doesn't work reliably, but it's true.

As for a workaround, I came across an OCA module that sends a rejection notice to the sender, but that's not what we want at all! I mean bothering clients with this fluff is a bit dull, isn't it?

So I'm just going to make that OCA module send rejection notices to our own predefined email addresses instead.

If you need such a fix too, please just drop me a line at vi3ual[at]gmail.[соm] and I'll just send you a modified module free of any charge.

Regards, 
Arsenty

Discard