This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I'm trying to understand the flow from a Manufacturing Order to a product purchase, and i feel i'm missing something.

Production makes a MO, checks product availability and there are some missing from stock. How will the purchase department know that it needs to buy those products?

Discard
Best Answer

Hi,

Take a look at this basic explanation about  "Reordering rules" and "make to order", both allow you to automatically replenish products when necessary.

When creating your BOMs, the most important is to use the right route (MTO and Buy for example) in the products to automate the process as you wish

Thanks

Ricardo

Discard
Author

Thanks for your help Ricardo, but the problem isn't the purchase itself, but the communication between Manufacture and Purchase.

How can the Purchase department be aware that it needs to buy missing stock items from an MO?

The guy that makes the MO should be able to request the purchase of such items directly from the MO.

Is there such option?

The department that make the MO isn't the same that makes the purchase.

For example, my company doesn't manufacture the same product twice. So the products we make always need new raw material. We just received a request that needs more that 200 new materials that need to be purchased and that we probably won't use again any time soon. So, the Manufacturing (or Inventory) department needs to call Purchase and tell them that there is a list of material they can't access, they need to buy. This is not a logical flow. Or... i'm missing something.