Description of the licenses that will be used in Odoo 9, and the consequences: what it allows, what becomes possible, and how different licenses can or cannot be combined.
15. Licenses Combinations (1) Proprietary Apps cannot depend on AGPL Apps, only on LGPL and other Proprietary ones
16. Licenses Combinations (2) AGPL Apps cannot depend on Proprietary ones, but it works if they are relicensed as LGPL
19. Thank You @odony
18. Questions? (sorry, probably in overtime by now ;-)) @odony
1. Open Source Licenses Olivier Dony @odony
2. Agenda o Brief history: GPL and Copyleft o AGPL vs LGPL o Licenses of Odoo 9 o Combining licenses
3. Brief history: GPL Before 1980, most programs were distributed with source code by default (for portability, bugfixing, auditing, etc.) Most software came from an academic background Then the situation changed.
5. GPL = Copyleft Copyleft relies on universal Copyright laws to enforce freedom for a piece of work The Free Software Foundation defines four freedoms : use, modify, distribute, and distribute modifications To guarantee these freedoms to every user, GPL forbids any restriction coming from other licenses
8. AGPL GPL is a strong copyleft license, but it suffers from the ASP loophole (Cloud) => 4 freedoms are only enforced if distributed AGPL was created to fix this, by adding the Section 13 provision: Copyleft applies as soon as users are interacting remotely with the program
14. License Combinations 3 main licenses: LGPL, AGPL, Proprietary Some combinations of these licenses are not valid – because GPL prevents distribution if licensing terms conflict. The Odoo Apps Store will be able to verify the validity of the combinations.
10. Licenses of Odoo 9 Odoo 9 changes license to LGPLv3, becomes Odoo Community Edition (requires agreement of contributors / CLA signature) Rationale + AGPLv3 is not well suited for the CMS features + LGPLv3 will permit selling Odoo Apps (Odoo S.A. or anyone) Odoo Enterprise Edition (proprietary) will contain a set of new Apps on top of Odoo Community
6. Brief history: GPL 1983: Richard Stallman creates GNU 1989: GPLv1 is born 1991: GPLv2, LGPLv2 1999: LGPLv2.1 2007: GPLv3, LGPLv3, AGPLv3 (DRM, tivoization, wording, patents) (bin + source, no restrictions) (“liberty or death”, C-lib) (library -> lesser)
9. LGPL GPL is a strong copyleft license, but lacks a linking exception => Unsuitable for libraries, such as the C lib LGPL was created to fix this, by adding a linking exception on top of GPL “ Using/Linking” in any program is OK if the LGPL part can be modified/replaced. “Derivative work” is OK under any license as long as it can be modified by the user
17. Licenses Combinations (3) Odoo's official interpretation of the licenses and their intention is that using Proprietary Apps and AGPL Apps at the same time is OK , as long as they don't depend on each other. See definition of “Corresponding Source” in AGPLv3 and the GPL FAQ entry #AGPLv3CorrespondingSource
12. Licenses of Odoo 9 Odoo 9 Community LGPLv3 - can be used/modified/distributed by anyone Project fully hosted on GitHub, access to anyone Source code Bug reports (also via Odoo Enterprise) Pull Requests Translations on Transifex.com odoo/odoo
13. Licenses of Odoo 9 Odoo 9 Enterprise Proprietary license applies to Enterprise Apps only → Using requires Odoo Enterprise subscription → Modifications are allowed → Distribution only to Odoo Enterprise subscribers Project fully hosted on GitHub, access to all partners Source code Bug reports (also via Odoo Enterprise) Pull Requests Translations on Transifex.com odoo/enterprise (+ some customers)
11. Licenses of Odoo 9 Odoo Community Odoo Enterprise OE base account crm project stock ... account_dashboard account_check_print web_mobile project_forecast ...
7. Brief history: Odoo 2 0 0 0 2 0 1 0 2005: TinyERP 1.0-4.0 – GPLv2 or later 2009: OpenERP 5.0 – GPLv3 or later + OEPL (web) 2011: OpenERP 6.0 – AGPLv3 + OEPL (web) 2012: OpenERP 6.1 – AGPLv3 2012: OpenERP 7.0 – AGPLv3 2014: Odoo 8.0 – AGPLv3 2015: Odoo 9.0 – CE: LGPLv3 + OE 2 0 0 5
- 7763 Total Views
- 4614 Website Views
- 3149 Embeded Views
- Social Shares
- 10 Likes
- 0 Dislikes
- 0 Comments
- 0 Facebook
- 0 Twitter
- 0 Google+
- 2 odoohun.odoo.com
- 1 m.facebook.com
- 7 www.odoo.com
- 2 www.tinyerp.org
- 1 www.odoocdn.net
- 9 accounts.odoo.com
- 1 onlinesync.odoo.com
Keynote: Odoo 9 New Features39131 Views .
Odoo 9 New Design- The rationales behind it10974 Views .
Shipper integration - UPS, DHL, FedEx6997 Views .
UX best practices to create your module5621 Views .
Keynote: Odoo Strategy 20155389 Views .
How to use Odoo in a Restaurant5237 Views .
Odoo 9: New Business Model5063 Views .
Odoo cms Performance Comparison and Optimisation3921 Views .
Odoo 9 New Design- Usability Methodology3616 Views .
New Odoo Apps store: How to use it3357 Views .
First steps in Odoo dev3188 Views .
Advanced barcodes management3131 Views .
Advanced Features of the API3109 Views .
How to use Odoo in the textile industry2923 Views .
How to use Odoo in a service company2744 Views .
How to create web themes for Odoo CMS2668 Views .
odoo-functional-training-v8-guidelines-us.pdf2462 Views .