This question has been flagged
1 Reply

Is it possible (and how) to plan manufacturing and materials supply for a complex product if product development/customization can't be finished before the start of manufacturing.

We have a very complex product (actually it's a system) with multiple levels of BOM structure and we need to start manufacturing when many parts of the product are not designed yet, but many of them are already designed. So what approach can give us reasonable planning capability for such a case? How can we bind the manufacturing plan to the PLM product design plan? What will happen to MRP if the design of some of the parts is changed (issue fix) after part of the batch is produced?

Discard
Best Answer

I am not sure if I have understood the point.
It seems to me that in this case the correct solution is to divide the BOM into "subBOMs" for products that are the results of stages (components / semi-products that may have their own - also advanced BOMs).
In the main BOM we place these semi-finished products as components and then we plan the design process so that the design stages correspond to these semi-finished products.
We have the main project and sub-projects then.
I didn't use the PLM module and I don't know if a project can have sub-projects in it, but you can always do it "manually" - the difficulty is then a few projects instead of one, but we gain flexibility.
This can be bypassed, for example, by setting the main project in the Projects module and PLM sub-projects into tasks - then I have a general overview from Projects module and details and mechanisms related to BOMs from the PLM module.
But this is just an idea / theory, which unfortunately I haven't checked myself.

Discard