This question has been flagged
8 Replies

Currently odoo 8 supports both API based and ORM methods based on osv. Will odoo 9 support both? Or API based development will only supported by odoo 9?

Thanks in Advance.

Discard

Please read your description again. This is your 2nd sentence :"Or API based development will only supported by odoo 9?" in first sentence you have already wrote, in V8, Odoo supports both API and ORM methods. However API and ORM methods are same. Don't you know ?

Author

Yes I know. But my main concern is up-gradation of Module from 8.0 to 9.0.

if your module is written in V8 API, it will work in V9 too ! ( Unless some of the xml side view changes )

Had a chat with a few of the developers @ Odoo days and normally the XML side view shouldn't change.

Best Answer

Hi Brijesh

I've created a topic about this here: https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/how-long-will-the-odoo-v7-api-stay-available-will-it-be-removed-in-odoo-9-86441

To quote my answer from my topic:

There has been a discussion about this on the official Odoo Experience (2015) and the compatibility with the V7 API will remain in Odoo 9. This means you will be able to use both the V7 and V8 API in both Odoo 8 and Odoo 9.

The exact moment when the support for the V7 API will be removed isn't decided yet and will depend on how fast Odoo itself changes everything to the new API and how fast the partners do this. It might even be the case that Odoo 10 will still support the old API!
Note: There hasn't been any official statement about this, besides in the Odoo Experience presentation about 'Ask Me Anything'. If the video from this presentation comes online I will add a link here that confirms this.
Discard
Best Answer

Hello Brijesh ..

Are you talking about following two different ways ?

1) def write(self, cr, uid, ids, vals, context=None):

2) @multi

def write(self,values):

Discard
Author

Yes Exactly Mr. Chirag.

Author

I have my Module written as per first method, but while upgrading it to odoo 9, Will it create any Problem?

Odoo 9 will support both the V7 and the V8 API, so no this won't give you any problems. It could be that the old API (method one) will be removed in Odoo 10, but thats still not sure.