This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I am doing a migration for a custom module that involves a significant schema change (e.g., merging tables together). I exported the data from the old version module of the module, processed it to match the new schema, and am now trying to figure out how to import it. I am curious if there is a suggested best way to solving this kind of problem. Based off of my current understanding, I have the following options.

• Import via csv.

• I actually tried this, but ran into an issue with not being able to import readonly fields. I can get past this by making these fields editable but I like to use the readonly attribute for fields that should only be set programmatically. I suppose I could just make the fields readonly in the view and not on the model, but I would prefer to set this on the model if possible.

• Import via module data.

• I assume importing data this way would bypass the readonly field restriction, but I am unsure how it would handle conversions. I have a binary field that when exported as csv is Base64 encoded and am not sure if it would properly decode that data when reading it from an xml file.

• Import via Odoo migration script.

• Seems like this option would require installing the old version alongside the new version and mapping data from the old models to the new models, which seems a bit clumsy.

• Import via sql script.

• This would certainly bypass all restrictions placed by the framework, but seems a little dangerous. If my assumption is correct, when importing data via any of the above methods the ORM is used to create your database records, which means all validation and/or computed properties will be properly processed. Thus it seems like importing data should probably go through the ORM.

Discard
Best Answer

I would use module data.

You can copy the CSV  Base64 encoded string from the image field and use it directly in an XML file, like this:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<odoo>
<record model="res.partner" id="1">
<field name="name">Odoo</field>
<field name="image_1920">iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAJYAAACWCAMAAAAL34HQAAAAAXNSR0IArs4c6QAAAARnQU1BAACxjwv8YQUAAAMAUExURQAAAIdae4dcfYhae4lbfIldf4pefYpggIxhgo1igI9lhI9nhJBnhZJph5Vui5dwjJhwjZlxj5t1kZp2kJt3kZx1kp13k6F+maOAmaOCm6SCm6SCnKeIn6mHn62Npa2PpK6Ppa+Rp7KWq7OWrLWarbearrecr7qhs72jt76kt7+nub+ousCou8Cqu8GqvAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHtU8wYAAAEAdFJOU////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////wBT9wclAAAACXBIWXMAAA7DAAAOwwHHb6hkAAAAGHRFWHRTb2Z0d2FyZQBwYWludC5uZXQgNC4xLjb9TgnoAAAFMElEQVR4Xs2c6ULqMBCFe0HcUNwBtSooiPv7v503bU+lLZnMpE3b+X4VnJwcS5s9iX6bs1o+zKeT8Wg0nkznD8sVvm5CI1ubeDL8Z2U4iTcIqkVtW+tzOHBwvkawN7VsvV0hXwFXb0jkRQ1bU2QoZoqEHvjaigfIy4tBjORS/GydIJsanEBChoetn2PkUJPjHwgJENt6P4J6A47eIcYitXUA5YYcQI5DZusCqgG4gKQbia0lFAOxhKwLga1DyAXjEMIOWFv30ArKPcRJOFsNSioXXCnmtvVFNBCaM/xCFnactm6h0Qq3yMSKy9YpBFriFNnYcNgK/gZWcbyRtK0RErfICFntQtqq1YDxZYDMdiBsfSNd63wjwwp2W525onzZbSFJJyDLMlZbnTxXOdbny2arg3ewiO19tNhqvbyqYim/dm21XLbb2C3vd2y1Wg9S7NSPVVufCOyYT2SfU7XVWkvGzRDZ51Rs1Wj1DS4fP5A65ePxskYBU2kXlm3dIUjMDTFctLlBgJg7pMwo20KIkHOkIhCMNBVBqoySLZ8Sa+8ZiRw87yFYQqn0Ktry6A+OXpGG4dWjxij2H4u28GcBL0gh4AVJBCBFQsGWuEd/jQRCrpGMpTAOULCFP3LsI9yDfSTlQLhha0s4JnOGcC8mSMywHc/5s/WOPzE8IdyTJyRn+Bv/+rMlG1XzGNAr8wMBN0eI/rMlSkZ2VCSIaqT8385tScZF6W6dCEkRdozY3Ba+dtHoXiVI7hdCYUvScsgimwAhF2hJwBa+dFH7ad8ieYCzyMxWjO8c1CwZygjKiWy+I7PF/+q1StFdziBHkz3BmS18RVOjxrHD10NpWGqLr0zT2CBAkCadT0tt4QsazzaDC9ktSGy94TNNEhkKSNIk86KJLXYu1aPVx8O2C69MUGILH0kaVjpV2ErIxEhsCdvtUl4hS2JijK01PlHsZWrh4PpD69QWV8QJel5+PEOYwvQ/jS18IIFYQCBMIrHF9J3rwPW3E1sbXFNAKiiQptgYW1zrAUpBgTRFbGwxnaWA9c4WpgaaGFvMQFujhUUUzIMzNLZwSQGhwECcgrXVuF9hh2l3srYuoROYS8gT/EYrXBE8Qicwj5AnWEULXBGURmvD8QF5gkXEFFuQCQ7kCeJohisCqAQH8gSziFlSB5XgQJ5gGjGFPFSCA3mCSTTGFQFUggN5gnHEtKyhEhzIE4y02lL6Iyp95JUWEHNcEUAlOJAnmEcPuCKASnAgT/AQMdNi/VTVS60NG+Z29tUMZGwpbTS39MxDnMLYUtoh66P7yixHSLqvSjv7SodGuJieBpI4Wy3cLgiTpLY47z0NUiod0mXvaT8D4KytnqYLlE6uKJuKStZoJLb4yF4m7gRb+5KoMECQZjvNycf2MimsdQpd6YID/lfsZXmG1sUskhQ9LP3RulBK6bIypYvwtC5ZbHWBJ1+KplgWeIpexoSOl8NqXTwsvV2GLpdaa12YrnQZv8/PmNDVpgf/TdTX1BYR8XOeU95qXbaldEON1u1HfW3Wqm7+rtpSurVN60ZArdsmtW4yFTYkQ2Ft8lpteZb2zUCWZey2lG73Vro53tBJcU92pUhbXbyPdMeTtqX0mAqth3poPQLFtCdae/CH1Q3eZdy2lB6vY/Deai2hvInaAmurhTfS8QbmCGwpPejKoPJYsASVh6gZdB45Z1B5QF9Kg1KMK6nK+NlSevhjisajMlNUHiyasRYM0551ewxrjsJDawusFvEsP+J3Fi+aH/H7+/sfvHHUffPHK6UAAAAASUVORK5CYII=</field>
</record>
</odoo>
This imports a Contact like this:

Discard