This question has been flagged
5 Replies

I am trying to understand the difference between a customer and a portal user. If a website visitor places an order on the website, the visitor is added as a customer, but unless the visitor explicitly sign's up on the portal a user id is not created for this customer. Wonder what the design thinking is. would it not make sense to add this customer automatically as a portal user that would enable them to return and sign in on their next visit?

Discard
Best Answer

mh, not sure if this helps.

I changed the behaviour of this by:

1. go-to settings
  2. go-to general settings.
  3. Activate the customer portal
  4.  Allow external users to sign up
  5. Template user for new users created through signup choose (template-users)

now the system creates a portal user when someone sign-on.
    and will automatically go to the portal after creating the portal users (log-in automatically)

If this answers your question, then please give my a thumbs up vote.

Discard

Hello your information is really helpfull. I have a query, I create a demo user on ecommerce with dont have an account, after user creating and login with demo that user directly view ecommerce website like showing products of page. Now when that user is logged in showing Home Shop Contact Use <Demo User> when click on Shop showing product page. Can u help me for this. my mail id is odoo.mydata@gmail.com

Best Answer

@Hariharan Gopalan, a portal user must not necessarily be a customer. in example, this person could be an external free lancer working on projects and such. Also, not every customer may want to be closely attached to the company and use the portal to have a look at her sales orders and so on.

These are use-case-wise thoughts. Design-wise, I do not know.

Discard

I agree. Perhaps another approach should be thought to allow users to see, for example quotations in the very attractive web format, without making them log in. Something like a short-life-token that expires, may be.. a possible option, but I don't know.

Best Answer

What make sense is portal user who enter details should automatically become customers. It doesn't make sense that they'll have to register again to become users. 

Discard