1 Reply

I am using the PLM App.

I see two Types of ECO's:

• New Product Introduction
  • BOM Updates

From both I can then choose to apply changes on:

• Bill of Materials
  • Product Only

I can't seem to work out when I should expect my product to rev up to a new version and when I should expect my BoM to rev up to a new version.

Discard
Best Answer

Think of the ECO "Type" as more of a bucket that allows you to identify and group the "reason" for the ECO.

For Products, these may be things like:

• Technology Advances
  • Design Improvements
  • Regulatory Compliance
  • Competitive Analysis

For Bills of Materials, these may be things like:

• Cost reduction
  • Component substitution
  • Process optimization
  • Quality improvement

We give you two Types out of the box "BoM Updates" and "New Product Introduction" [and you can make as many as you like via the Configuration Menu in the PLM App] but it is the "Apply on" selector that defines what will rev up.

The Product will rev up a version when your ECO is marked as "Apply on" Product Only.

The BoM will rev up a version when your ECO is marked as "Apply on" Bill of Materials.

It is possible to have the "New Product Introduction" Type rev a BoM and it is possible to have the "BoM Updates" Type rev a Product. 

The driver is the "Apply On" not the "Type". 

Discard

Ray, if we change the product version, all completed manufacturing orders are updated with the new version. How can we determine which version of the component was used to complete the production? This information is crucial when products come back for service.

Enable Lot Tracking. Add anything you need to know about the component, including the version, to the LOT record. Specify the LOT used for each component that you require detailed traceability on - this will include which Vendor supplied the component and which Purchase Order it was supplied on.

Our Product Owners are aware that it would be more convenient to store the historic production version on Inventory Transfers for people who don't need full LOT tracking.

A code based Automation rule (triggered on save when updating the create date of the stock move to pull the information from the version field on each product) may be a suitable workaround if you wanted to implement a custom field that stored the version.

Please check with your Odoo Digital Advisor or Odoo Partner if you want more assistance with this option.

Ok noted thanks for your explanation.