This question has been flagged

Hi Everyone

I'm a newcomer to OpenERP and I'm just in the process of trying to gauge the suitability of the platform for my organisation's requirements.

We're a little bit different in terms of goods receipt; we don't tend to know the condition of the product that's coming in. As part of our receipt process, we have to inspect each item and subsequently assign it a suitable condition (new, used, damaged). I'm trying to figure out how this would sit in OpenERP.

I'm playing with the product variant module at the moment and seeing if this suits what I'm trying to achieve. I've basically got a product template configured with 'condition' variants - new, used, damaged and unconditioned. What I need to do is have an outstanding PO for 10 of an unconditioned widget and then have the ability to receive those 10, but as varying conditions - so the quantity may ultimately be spread as 5 x new, 3 x used and 2 x damaged widgets.

As I mentioned above, I'm new with OpenERP and I'm in awe of the extensibility and flexibility that's on offer. I don't think what I'm trying to do is massively complicated, I'm just looking for some guidance from the pros on what avenue is going to be the most fruitful in terms of achieving my goal.

Is the way that I've explained feasible / achievable? Would there be a better way to approach this using other models?

Thanks

Discard
Author

Just to follow this up a little bit... I was reading another post (http://help.openerp.com/question/27234/different-graded-b-stock-products/) where the guy was interested in segregating stock (for similar reasons) and he had opted to do this by creating another location. Could that be a better way to approach the problem?

Author Best Answer

Just following this up with another update.

After some further investigation, using serial numbers to track a product in varying conditions seems to work well. I can raise a purchase order for a product and then I can receipt the product whilst splitting a single line with a quantity of 2 across multiple serial numbers which each represent a different condition.

What I would like to do is produce a label for the serial number / product barcode, if that's possible?

The notion of tracking the product with serials seems to work so far, can anyone offer any advice on possible pitfalls of doing this? Does it make sense to track in this way?

Thanks

Discard