This question has been flagged

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has found a way to use 1 PDF worksheet attachment across multiple BOMs operations. In my case, I have been uploading SOPs to BOM operations to be used as instructions in production. These operations (& attachments) are then duplicated via automated action for new products. The problem is that if I make a change to an SOP, I currently have to remove the PDF from every single BOM/Operation that uses it and then re-upload the new version. This will not work at scale.

One way that I can see this working is to create a new model that allows for SOP PDF uploads. In the BOM operation you could then create a m2o to select the specific BOM. When it comes time to update the SOP you could just replace the file in the SOP PDF model.

I am not a developer but I hope this adequately explains what I am looking for. Thanks

Discard

I've found a solution to this for a client so if you're interested, feel free to reach out.

Best Answer

Hi there.

I'm facing a similar challenge for a couple of clients and there are 2 ways I have approached it.

Out-of-the-box you can use the field [Google Slide PDF] to link to an externally shared PDF on Google Drive. It also works for many other cloud storage services, provided they link directly to the PDF. However it doesn't work with SharePoint.

Not sure where you are storing your files/documents?

Alternatively a custom module or perhaps automated action can be used to overwrite the PDF binary file stored on the operation, to instead use a related binary field stored elsewhere. If you're using Odoo Documents module, it could possibly be made to use a file from there which is held in a central place and easy to update.

Hope that helps.

Discard

Hi,

You wrote:
"Alternatively a custom module or perhaps automated action can be used to overwrite the PDF binary file stored on the operation, to instead use a related binary field stored elsewhere."

I have pdf files in a shared folder on local server.
I'm trying to attach these pdf files on operations by programming (automated action), but I have some difficults.
Have you got some tips to share ?

Another option is to have "note" instruction instead of a pdf, with a link to the local pdf file, that the browser could open when clicking on it.
But I have difficults with this option too.

Any help would be welcome :)

Thanks

Florian Mathieu:
Actually in the end the option of using a "note" type instruction was what I have done with a client.
As they store their documents in Sharepoint (which I'd recommend you do), you can sync this locally and ALSO have a shareable hyperlink.
I decided to create some code that automatically generates an HTML link on the "note" field which links to the Sharepoint PDF.