Hi, Good Day!
Can someone please help me regarding my little problem? I am trying to figure out how can I configure my Opening entries in OpenERP. I'm a bit confused on how to configure this.
Also, I want to ask, does every Journal needs an Opening Balance? for example, does Cash Journal need to have a starting balance?(sorry, I'm not an Accountant:D), and how can I configure this? Thank you in advance for your help guys. God Bless us all
Opening balances deals with accounts; * A journal* is a formatted method to record the business and financial operations into the appropriate accounts.
In a sense they are specialized by the nature of the transactions to be recorded.
The (almost) universal practice defines several journals:
- Sales journal
- Purchasing journal
- Bank journal
- (petty) Cash journal
- Miscellaneous journal
- Opening (balances) Journal. Other journals can be designed depending onto your needs (credit notes journal for instance).
The Opening (balances) Journal is the sole journal dealing with recording balances of accounts from the previous acounting period (if a previous period exists). In this journal, you will use only balance sheet accounts. OpenErp has a workflow to transfer the balances from one closed period to the next current one. When you start working with OpenErp, you need to record every closing balances (from another system, be it manual or not) into your "new" booking system. To do that you will post these individual balances (your previous balance sheet), using the opening balances journal.
Dear Jheszica, You can create Opening Entries as explained below
1) Create an Opening Entries Journal: In most of the Chart of Accounts this comes by default. If it's not present, create a journal "Opening Entries Journal" with Type="Opening/Closing Situation". Check the "Centralized Counterpart" option. 1a) create an Account "Opening Expense Account" of Internal Type="Regular" and Account Type="Expense" and set this as the Default Debit Account for the above journal 1b) create an Account "Opening Income Account" of Internal Type="Regular" and Account Type="Income" and set this as the Default Credit Account for the above journal
2) Now go to Accounting->Journal Entries-> Journal Entries and click "Create" to create the opening journal entry
3) Now select Journal="Opening Etnries Journal" and add all your Accounts here with their Opening balances. Make sure you enter the amount in credit or debit columns based on the opening balance type of respective accounts
4) Once all entries are made, save the journal entry and post it. If the opening entries you entered are unbalanced (means sum of credits are not equal to sum of debits), then automatically the balance amount will be posted to the Default Debit Account or Default Credit Account of the Journal created in the first step
You can put in your opening balances by using a general journal - see menu item accounting / journal entries . journal entries.
This way you are not limited to only balance sheet accounts - for example, you may be part way through the year and want to do a journal for each month including expense account balances.
The only tricky part is receivables and payables. In OpenERP these are part of the GL (rather than a separate ledger like most systems) so in your journal you will need to include the relevant partner account.
Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!
About This Community
|Asked: 3/1/13, 1:20 AM|
|Seen: 11673 times|
|Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM|