This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Hello,

I need to know how to create and process a refund for Taxes only (no invoice lines).

For example, I have an invoice which has been paid with:

Subtotal: $100

Taxes: $7

Total: $107

The next day, the customer gives me their Tax Exemption form, so I now need to refund the $7 taxes.

If I try to process a refund for taxes only, I get an error message stating: 

Global taxes defined, but they are not in invoice lines !

How can I refund this correctly so that my "Tax" totals will be valid at the end of the year?

I am surprised this issue has not come up before (from what I can find).

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Discard
Best Answer

Perhaps this works: Create a service product called TAX with the correct income account. Add it to the Credit Invoice line and change the amount to $7 ??

Discard
Author

Wouldn't this still refund a general $7, albeit from the correct account (it is not a tax-only account, though)?

Make the account on the product the same account your tax is set to accrue. It will simply take out the $7 you put there when you validated the Invoice

Author

My confusion stemmed from the fact that our Tax Accounts weren't set up correctly. All items (and tax) got put into the same account. I separated the Taxes to go into the Tax Received account as expected, then created the TAX product with the same account.

Great. Thanks for the update - so this works as expected?

Best Answer

In addition to Ray's answer you should also add a tax code with a tax value of 100% and assign it to the service product.

Discard
Author

Wouldn't this refund $7 unit price and $7 tax?

It should not (price must be tax included). The following link should give you the idea: http://www.camptocamp.com/en/actualite/openerp-tax-100-on-import/