Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

How can I refund ONLY tax on an order?

Travis Waelbroeck
on 4/26/16, 4:57 PM 292 views

I need to know how to create and process a refund for Taxes only (no invoice lines).

For example, I have an invoice which has been paid with:

Subtotal: $100

Taxes: $7

Total: $107

The next day, the customer gives me their Tax Exemption form, so I now need to refund the $7 taxes.

If I try to process a refund for taxes only, I get an error message stating: 

Global taxes defined, but they are not in invoice lines !

How can I refund this correctly so that my "Tax" totals will be valid at the end of the year?

I am surprised this issue has not come up before (from what I can find).

Any suggestions?

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 4/29/16, 12:15 AM

Perhaps this works: Create a service product called TAX with the correct income account. Add it to the Credit Invoice line and change the amount to $7 ??

Wouldn't this still refund a general $7, albeit from the correct account (it is not a tax-only account, though)?

Travis Waelbroeck
on 4/29/16, 9:20 AM

Make the account on the product the same account your tax is set to accrue. It will simply take out the $7 you put there when you validated the Invoice

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 4/29/16, 4:05 PM

My confusion stemmed from the fact that our Tax Accounts weren't set up correctly. All items (and tax) got put into the same account. I separated the Taxes to go into the Tax Received account as expected, then created the TAX product with the same account.

Travis Waelbroeck
on 5/10/16, 4:16 PM

Great. Thanks for the update - so this works as expected?

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 5/10/16, 6:34 PM

Ermin Trevisan

--Ermin Trevisan--
| 6 3 7
Walchwil, Switzerland
--Ermin Trevisan--

Ermin Trevisan
On 4/29/16, 5:07 AM

In addition to Ray's answer you should also add a tax code with a tax value of 100% and assign it to the service product.

Wouldn't this refund $7 unit price and $7 tax?

Travis Waelbroeck
on 4/29/16, 9:18 AM

It should not (price must be tax included). The following link should give you the idea: http://www.camptocamp.com/en/actualite/openerp-tax-100-on-import/

Ermin Trevisan
on 4/29/16, 9:47 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Asked: 4/26/16, 4:57 PM
Seen: 292 times
Last updated: 5/10/16, 4:15 PM