This question has been flagged

Hi Odoo Dev,

I'd like to underscore the need for true "multi-recipient" emails being sent from Odoo. This means that when multiple comma separated email addresses are used in the To: or CC: configuration then the email should be constructed to have both/multi recipients on the same email.

Condition: 3 comma separated addresses in the To field and 2 addresses in the CC field. (doesn't matter if in a template or on a Send Message custom email, should support either listed partner ids or email addresses)
Expected Result: The same one email with 5 addressees on it would get sent 5 times to the different recipients.
Actual Result in Odoo: 5 different emails will get sent with each addressee being the sole To: recipient. There isn't any indication that the email was sent to 4 other people. 

• I've heard at some point that the development stance is "this is our way and we think it's superior and we're going to stick with it."
  • I think it's time to ask you to reconsider your stance. Please look at all major email and webmail clients. They all offer functionality as described in the Expected Result. When there is a worldwide accepted UX pattern then it is a poor user experience when you use the same UI elements but offer a different outcome.
  • What you have implemented is essentially Blind CC, and I have seen many cases over the years where it causes problems. The most common example is when I (or my clients) send an invoice. The majority of cases there is a human contact that would like to see the invoice and also an accountspayable@ email address that goes to accounting. (or bill digitization in Odoo!) Over and over and over again I get a response from the human contact saying "you should also send this to accountspayable@" or you won't get paid. In Odoo I have done that already, but since they can't see that on the email they don't know. My clients complain of this too.
  • This has been an issue I have been aware of since 2021. You can see in this forum post I have suggested a code workaround to list everyone who is receiving the email in the body of the email. However this is not usually enough. People are used to looking at the header of their emails and seeing who is cc'd and addressed.
  • People are also very used to reply-all functionality in their email clients. Your current blind-cc approach makes it impossible for someone to reply-all.
  • In the invoice example above, many times the main point of contact is asked to approve the invoice for payment. If the invoice email were a true multi-recipient email, then their reply-all saying "invoice approved" would go to the accountspayable@ distro and keep the process moving. However with the BCC approach used by Odoo the reply can only go back to the reply@odoo.com and the message will get tagged on the invoice transaction, but the accountspayable@ distro would not see the approval. Thus causing delays and friction.

I'm sure there are some difficulties in executing this upgrade and ensuring it works reliably, but it's time to get it on the roadmap. I also suggest making this a configurable option on a per-DB or per-template basis. There may be some cases where companies have gotten used to the BCC approach and won't want to change immediately.

One more while we are here. There should be an option on templates to "not automatically send to all followers." Clients/Customers get added automatically to transactions as followers in many cases, like on sent sales proposals. However there may be cases where an email should be generated and sent internally and not to the customer. There should be a way to build a template without sending to the followers.

Feedback always appreciated!

Discard

I hope Odoo is listening, I totally agree with your points. and would love to see this changed.

I have had multiple Clients ask about this. Odoo just charges them to make the modification. They could fix it pretty easy, but it's a cost center for Odoo. I know of 2 Clients just this year who have asked Odoo to make this change. 1 jiust ended up paying Odoo to flip the switch on their database to do it. I haven;t had to time to go look at it since I saw the proposal, too busy fixing all the other stuff we deal with that Odoo does that doesn't make any sense. But to answer you, not gonna happen unless you pay Odoo to fix it.

Thanks Geoff for your clear statemente,

We got exactly the same problem you have discribed. 

So when managing projekts people are just used to this funktion. When they say to me, "please send it to me and my colleage, and please put the subcontractor and the caretaker in "cc"" I have to tell them, that I can not do this. 

They often do not believe that this is a problem and think, I am supid or whant to annoy them.

So when looking at my mail, they do not know, if I really did sent it to the other recipients or maybe have forgotten it. 

This is just so annoying, that we can not really use Odoo for projekt management.

Why cant they give us an option every free webmailer and client supports? 

When you pay thousends of euros for a software, it is just ignorant to not support basic features that your customors need and that seems really easy to implement. 

So Odoo team, just add this function asap.

Best Regards

Felix Gerhardt  

Bill Rust. Did you ever get a chance to look into exactly what the official (paid) change from Odoo is to change this behavior?

Best Answer

Well, I cannot explain more you mentioned! We're in the same boat.

The needed change is a bit not possible without really overriding couple of functions in ir.mail_server

• _prepare_email_message where all [email_to, email_cc, email_bcc] are merger into smtp_to_list.
  • send_email  where above is called and single smtp_to_list is received and passed to smtp.send_message(message, smtp_from, smtp_to_list

send_message will simply use pylib smtplib to send.

I'm thinking of doing a test module for it, and a PR if all goes good.

Discard
Best Answer

Has anyone found a workable solution to this yet?

Also, we find when an inbound email comes into the system it strips off the other email addresses so we do not see that other people were copied on it.  We are running blind.

Discard
Best Answer

+1 Same problem with our company... We are on the looks if there is something we can change in the code with an addon app so it's available.

Discard
Best Answer

I've not used it, but this add-on seems to do what you want: https://apps.odoo.com/apps/modules/15.0/sh_email_enhancement/

Discard
Best Answer

We have a solution for this. But it involved some development. How much would you be ready to pay to also get the solution?

Discard

Tell me more about this solution we might be interested.

Best Answer

Same here, landed on this page hoping it was only just an on/off switch for that functionality, I was dazzled to find out that this is the only way to send emails.

Discard
Best Answer

The same here !

Discard
Best Answer

+1 on this. One of the most annoying things in Odoo for our team.

Discard

Digging into this matter more deeply, my understanding of why Odoo works like this has grown. An important remark is given by Pedro Baeza here: https://github.com/odoo/odoo/issues/38965
TLDR: each recipient can have different content/subject/etc. Example: used variables, buttons for accessing portal/backend, etc.

From that perspective, is might make more sense that multi recipient emails isn't possible, as each email might be unique in some ways.

However, for our business, we do not really care about different emails being sent to the recipients. Even more, we would like each recipient to receive the same email, just like you would expect with a normal email client that sends an email to multiple recipients.

I have been able to find a 'solution' for making sure that only 1 email is sent, and all receivers are put in the 'To' field. However, there is still the challenge of how Odoo handles replies on that email. By default, Odoo will take the reply and forward it to the other followers of the thread as well. This would effectively mean that followers would receive each reply double.
I've been able to extend the way in which Odoo determines to whom the reply's should be forwarded. I have tried to keep all original routing, and remove the notifications to other followers.

The module is still highly experimental, and not tested well at all. I would appreciate help with doing so.

One feature that would be nice to add is the possibility to see in Odoo who received the reply. Let's say I send a message in Odoo from a Quote to customer A and B. Now, customer A replies to both the catchall email in Odoo as well as to customer B. In the Odoo Chatter, it would be nice to see that customer B also received a reply from customer A.
For achieving this extra logic is required that makes mail.notification records and relates them to the relevant mail.message record of the email that is received. Perhaps adding an extra notification_status like 'Sent by Sender' could be added to differentiate who was responsible for the email being sent.

Github repo: https://github.com/mondaymerch/public_modules/tree/main/multi_recipient_notification

Best Answer

+1 for Geoff. We also really need the Odoo email CC configuration working as a real email CC functionality as anyone would expect. 

Discard