This question has been flagged
1 Reply

All the reporting solutions I've tried thus far have either not worked or have been overly complicated.  My next thought is to simply build by reports directly off of the PostgresDB using tools I'm familiar with.  

Has anyone done this before and is there anything I should be aware of? 

Thanks!

Nate

Discard
Best Answer

Nate,  OpenERP does have modules that use reporting engine that connects directly to PostgreSQL DB instead of going through OpenERP.  jasper_report module provides the integration with Jasper Report (we have modifications made to make it work in 7.0), pentaho_reports module with Pentaho Server.

All direct reporting solutions, in my view, suffers from authorization problem, i.e.  the access control list and record rules (and any other security related setting) does not apply.  Hence the user running the report may see data that in OpenERP they do not have access to.

Direct reporting solution will open another connection to the database.  You need to account for it when configuring PostgreSQL.

Discard
Author

Thanks John Doe, Thus far, I've been able to build a very basic report in Pentaho and using the OpenOffice Designer. Jasper however has me stumped when it comes to the "Create Data Template 7.0" screen in OpenERP 7. The buttons do not seem to work properly, as well as it is not very clear what the Data Template is and how to properly set it up. Your right, Direct Reporting can be a security problem, however, it would be a stop gap measure until I've got Jasper figured out.