This question has been flagged
3 Replies

I have several products that are sold as a kit, which suits the use of a Kit BOM very well.

For example, a Book and a DVD are packaged together and invoiced or sold as a single item with a special price (different from the price of the two individual items).  But they are stocked separately, and when delivered, one of each of the two items are delivered.

The BOM functionality works very well for this.  With a Kit BOM, when the Kit item is sold, the delivery order is created with one of each of the two items to be delivered.

However, I have run into a warning/error message which is preventing me from accessing the Replenishment option in the inventory module.  The warning says:

A product with a kit-type bill of materials cannot have a reordering rule.

I need to be able to replenish the individual items.  The kit item is not itself stocked.  But this message above prevents me from getting to the Replenishment screen at all.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Thank you in advance!

Discard

Hi, as you describe "they are stocked separately"
- Do you have separate location created in your inventory warehouse as well for those 2 item. something like "Kit-Storage-Area" (or someting) ?

Author

The storage location is the same. What I meant by "they are stocked separately" is that the individual components are what is in inventory. The two individual components have stock on hand. The kit item does not, itself, have any onhand quantity. (But it is still a storable product).

Best Answer

Hey,
Got this issue recently and went digging through the source code. From what I learnt, the error actually originates from when you try to create a reordering rule on a product that has that has at least one BOM with its type set to "kit". It rightfully gives you this error. But how does this relate to replenishment view? 

One thing to know is anytime the replenishment view is selected, it runs a server action (called "replenishment") that basically looks for products with negative forecasted quantities and creates "manual orderpoints" (records) that populates the replenishment tree view. Thats why there are always products in the replenishment view. 
Anotther thing to know is if a BOM (that is set to kit) is created for a product after it (the product) has been sold previously, the line items in the BOM are used to register any moves including sales.

This means if the product has a negative forcasted quantity, the server action would catch that but because it has a kit BOM, it would check if the line items have negative quantity instead. If it does, it would try to generate orderpoints for those line items that make up the BOM but again, it dosent make sense to have reordering rule for a kit. Hence the error.

The solution  would be for both the product itself and the bom line items to not be negative OR archice the product with that issue and create a new product and set it to be a consumable item. "By definition, a consumable product does not have its inventory levels tracked" So even if the BOM is set to kit the server action wont catch it

So look for any product that has these and apply any of the solutions I mentioned. The error should go

• not consumable
  • Has a kit bom
  • Has negative quantity on the product itself and the bom line products
Discard
Best Answer

It sounds like the issue you are experiencing is a result of a limitation in Odoo's kit BOM functionality. Kit BOMs are designed to only be used for creating a finished product from a set of components, and as such, they do not support the use of reordering rules for individual components.

One solution to this issue would be to create a separate BOM for each of the individual items in your kit, and use those BOMs to manage the replenishment of those items. This would allow you to use reordering rules for each of the individual components, while still using a kit BOM to create the finished product when it is sold.

Alternatively, you could consider using a different approach for managing the sale of your kit products, such as creating a custom product that combines the individual items and their special price, rather than using a kit BOM. This would allow you to use reordering rules for the individual components, while still allowing you to sell the finished product as a single item with a special price.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Discard
Author

Thank you Ashish. I don't particularly need to use a BOM to replenish the individual items. I can use the regular replenishment functionality, namely, that the onhand quantity goes low and a reordering rule can be used to trigger a reorder, etc.

Really, what I have is:

Product A - can be sold, does not itself have onhand quantity so cannot be reordered, but when it is sold, I need to deliver product B and C.

Product B and C - these are individual products, with onhand quantity, that should trigger reorders when their stock gets low.

I did not follow how creating separate BOMs for the individual components would resolve this. What components would those BOMs contain?

The alternative, which I do have in some cases, where you suggested having a custom product that combines the individual items, is workable in some cases. i.e. the individual products are combined into a single boxed item, which itself is then stored in inventory and must be ordered.

I do appreciate you taking the time to help me here!

Best Answer

Hello,

Odoo didn't apply reordering rule on product which has kit typeof BoM.

Thanks,

shivoham.odoo@gmail.com

Discard
Author

Thank you. I don't need to apply a reordering rule on the product that has the BOM kit type. But it is preventing me from accessing the reordering options under the Replenishment option on ANY items, even those that have no BOM configured.

Okay, I have to check the configuration for knowing in detail.

Hello.
I am using kit in version 12 and I do not have a problem.
No reordering rule for the kit item but put the reordering rule at the item A and B.
You write: But it is preventing me from accessing the reordering options under the Replenishment option on ANY items,
But try to go to inventory - products - products choose item A and then make the reodting rule directly from the item A.