This question has been flagged
6 Replies

I am working on odoo 10.0.I need to restart my server every time after modifying my modules. is there any way to update modules automatically without restarting the server.

Discard

In a production environment... not really... you code shouldn't change frequently ! And you need to see the output when you restart...

During your development, you only need to restart when you update python code.

You can restart automatically your server for development purpose only with '--dev reload'.

Be aware if you use '--dev werkzeug' or '--dev all', this mode expose your server, some tools like a console to inspect the python environment during a traceback will be available. So it should be only used on a closed environment and not a public server.

Then in 24*7 production environment how they are updating the modules.

my requirement also almost same, without restarting the client server i need to update the module. Because every time they will be doing some imports or bulk transfers.

Best Answer

Hi,

For the python changes you can just restart the service to get the change, if the service restarting has to be done automatically you can use the python package watchdog for this, you can check this to see how it is done : Restart Odoo Service Automatically Based On Changes In Python Files

For the XML Changes, there is no need to upgrade the module, without upgrading the module, you can get the changes made in the code instantly if you pass --dev xml in the parameters, see this: Get XML Changes Without Upgrading The Module in Odoo

Thanks

Discard
Best Answer

As mentioned by Esther Martin it is necessary to restart when you have changed the Python code. You need to explain it to your customer. Give them an example:
- large banks websites going out(usually in the night) for "maintenance"

- the customer should keep the latest version of Odoo and updating of Odoo itself finishes with a restart.

Installation of new modules should be done after the backup so you should probably agree with the company on a days/times when you will be updating the system as well as modules. 

Discard
Best Answer

You need to restart the server if you changed your Python file. If you change XML you just have yo upgrade the module.

Discard