This question has been flagged
1 Reply

The company I work for switched to a different Odoo Partner a while ago. We're still using some of that partner's modules -- however, because they're not supported by our old partner anymore, I'm thinking of migrating them and refactoring them to our own needs.

They're working fine currently, but I'm concerned about their compatibility once we're upgrading to a newer version of Odoo in the future (we're on 11 currently). It'd be much easier if I was able to manage them myself under new module names (but not necessarily new model names), that way I could ensure they're updated correctly once we're upgrading our database.

Is there a way to do this safely without risking the loss of any existing data?

Discard
Best Answer

If you want to rename the module, just create a new module having the same object names and then install your new module in the database.

Once the module is installed, you can uninstall the old module now and you will not lose the existing data.

Discard
Author

Thanks a lot Sudhir, but it only partly worked. Some other module depends on the module in question -- I changed its dependencies in its __manifest__.py to the new module, but when uninstalling the old module, Odoo tells me it can't find a model of the new module. However, the model name of course didn't change. I tried upgrading the new module after that, as well as restarting Odoo, but it keeps giving me the same error.

I made sure to rename every use of the old module's external ID as well.

Is there maybe something I have missed? Do I need to rename anything else?