This question has been flagged
5 Replies

We are using V12 to manage our business. We have demo inventory that we move products into and out of from our regular inventory. Though we have been using Odoo for some time, I am personally new to it. Our normal support person is on extended leave. Hopefully someone can give me some pointers or there is documentation somewhere that provides suggestions/instructions on how to approach doing this.

Discard

Thank you Ray for such a thoughtful response and thank you for asking specific questions regarding our process. We are a small company and have  been "kinda just making our demo loan process work" and yet have lost track of some fairly expensive products as a result. As you point out, when you codify the product- and work-flow you can't kinda define the process. It has to be really specific and we haven't thought through the questions you asked -- and probably many more. I naively thought that there was some general process but of course every company is different. I will step back and convene the affected parties and document our desired process then come back with a more educated set of questions. Thanks again.

Best Answer

What do you need, from a business perspective?

Do you need a Sales Order that you can use the charge the recipient if they don't return it?

Do you need a Delivery Order to instruct the Warehouse to move products out (and to allow them to be returned)?

Do you just need to know the location of the demo products at any given time? 

Do they still "belong" to you when they are moved out?

It might help readers of your question to know, outside of Odoo, how this process works now and how you want it to work.  If you did it all on paper, how many different pieces of paper would you need, who would they be given to and what information would be on them?

Discard
Best Answer

I propose that you create location - one or more as to your needs - that name the physical place where your demo material are. 

Then use internal transfer to this location when you send, and when you return. This can be done very manual. 

If you want more automatic, you need to set up some pull rules and routes. But if the organisation is not very big, a fully manual process will do it. 

The basic is to register the move, when it happens. 

Discard
Best Answer

so question. you need to import initial inventory? need to setup warehouse? detail you questions.

Discard
Author Best Answer

What I want is something very simple. My corporate accounting doesn't use Odoo's accounting features. I need a "place" to put demo inventory to separate it from our sales stock. I gather in Odoo's vocabulary that is called a warehouse. I then need to be able to ship out our demo products so that we know where they are and recall them if they are not returned by the prospective client. When returned they get put back into demo inventory. There are times when the prospective client becomes an actual client by purchasing the products we loaned them. At that point I need to move the products back into sales inventory and then generate a quote and invoice as usual. We would also do this if the product are not returned when they are recalled. When we loan out of demo inventory we would want to create an invoice that explains what will happen if the products are not returned in working condition and within some limited amount of time upon being recalled.

Discard