This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I have installed using Ubuntu 12.04. Have upgraded to 13.04 but no automatic upgrade for openerp. The repository still has openerp 6.1. I need simple instructions to follow. I am a newbie. I have no experience of postgresql, openerp and so little python.

I have tried to download the tar.gz, but cannot extract the files from it, a problem I have never had before.

I have tried to download the .deb file but installing this seems to have no affect whatsoever.

I can see the openerp folder but nothing inside it is visible. (I'm not logged in as the openerp user)

I know what I need to do but not how to do it.

Discard

are you already running your business in OpenERP? or you just need to try OpenERP 7?

Author

I just need to try it. Loading 6.1 via the Ubuntu install was the only way I could get 6.1 to run. The pdfs did not work (just error messages) The export did not work (just error messages) I was hoping that 7.0 was better, but all the chat on the forums seems to be programmer to programmer, I have been unable to get any method of upgrading to 7.0 to work. I saw one chap suggest that the next step was to download all the source code. Why, I don't know. Another suggested the clonezilla route. Sounded fine until I saw the Clonezilla website, not for me.

You say that the repository is still on 6.1. Do you use Ubuntu desktop or server? In both cases you can change / add a repository, so you download the latest version of openERP.I can help you with this part, when I am back in the office..

Author

That does sound a lot simpler. Is there anything special needed to update the database between 6.1 to 7.0 ?

Don't know. There are some differences regarding users (customers/suppliers/users). If there is hardly any data in the database, it is cleaner to just remove openERP 6.1 and than install openERP7. Check http://nightly.openerp.com/ how to add and install openERP7.

Best Answer

Install Bazaar and download the branches.

sudo apt-get install bzr
mkdir -p ~/erp/7.0
cd ~/erp/7.0
bzr branch lp:openobject-addons/7.0 addons
bzr branch lp:openobject-server/7.0 server
bzr branch lp:openerp-web/7.0 web
Discard
Author

error sorry

Author

I gave up after step 4. A Gigabyte of download just for the Addons. That is a joke too far. I would rather use the space on my hard drive for the data thankyou. Does anybody have a better solution.?

Author

OK, I persevered. All that download did not result in a Source History of Openerp on my hard disk. I have now completed the six steps.

Author

I presume, that I have to stop 6.1 from running ever again. I then have to run Setup to get 7.0 working and then to run openerp with the update option to get the database updated. Does doing the Update this way prevent the Linux Update maintaining the code at the latest mod state? Do I need to remove 6.1 using apt-get remove ?

You can leave 6.1 on, just change the port 7.0 runs on. https://doc.openerp.com/trunk/server/01_getting_started/#command-line-options

I have no idea how the aptitude library gets/stays updated, but I'd highly recommend against using it. Bazaar is the easiest to update, just go into the three folders and run bzr pull to get the latest code. You can also download the tar.gz files from nightly.openerp.com but that gets cumbersome and takes up a ton of bandwidth just to download small changes (mostly translations).