This question has been flagged
7 Replies

At the bottom of doc.openerp.com/book/3/3_9/periods_and_fiscal_years/ the documentation states "The system administrator can re-open a period, which have been closed by mistake.".

When a fiscal year is closed it can contain a mix of open and closed periods. Can the system administrator also re-open a fiscal year? How?

P.S.: I noticed that under "Accounting -> Periodic Processing -> End of Period -> Cancel Closing Entries" (a very promising name!) I'm not offered a closed year. I also noticed in accounting/wizard/account_open_closed_fiscalyear.py (also a very promising name) entries are removed, but the state of the fiscal year is not changed.

If I tell Postgres to

UPDATE account_fiscalyear SET state="draft" where name="2013 (My fiscal year)" and state="done";

then it does become available in the "Cancel Closing Entries" form. Is that how it's done - change the state internally and use Cancel Closing Entries afterwards???

Thanks for any pointers.

Discard
Best Answer

For what it is worth, I have done this on two separate occassions, and everything seemed fine. Manually changing the state of the fiscal year to draft in the database directly, then running the wizard to cancel the closing entry seemed to work. . But you _Should_ not. No one reading any of the rest of this post can  or should hold me responsible for anythign that happens if you do - generally a fiscal year should be closed only once you have submitted data to a governmental or tax authority, and Odoo has worked to make this immutable (as it should!) after the FY is closed. 

Update account_fiscalyear set state ='draft' where id = YOURFISCALYEARID ;

Find the view for account.open.closed.fiscalyear (in stock odoo 8, name may change in other versions) . Update the search domain to find the FY if necessary.

make sure you cancel the opening journal entry, which means you need the account_cancel option

Run the wizard , which should remove the opening entry, as well as the reconciliation between the closing entry and the opening entry.

And then, I think, you are good. You can re-open periods in the formerly closed fiscal year. I closed a FY prematurely once, and while I could have restored from a backup taken 5 minutes before, I wanted to see if a process could be made to work. I Absolutely understand why Odoo would not want to encourage or even publish data about this. Taxes are serious stuff.

Discard
Best Answer

Close a Period:

image description

(Click the Close Period button)

Re-Open a Period:

image description

(Click the Re-open Period button)

Discard
Author

Thank you Ray. Sorry I see now that what I'm after is re-opening a closed fiscal year. Checking the periods in that year I see there's a mix of open and closed periods - opening a period still keeps the fiscal year closed. We're investigating my approach in "P.S." but it looks good so far. Would be nice to get confirmation from someone who's done this before.

It is not possible to re-open a closed fiscal year. The process of closing a fiscal year is irreversible.

By editing your question and changing it from 'period' to 'year' you have now made my answer irrelevant. If you ask the wrong question, it is probably better to delete the question and ask a new one.

Author

Thanks Ray, sorry I agree I should delete this question. Also I will reword, as you can see I have re-opened a fiscal year.