This question has been flagged

In Odoo, when you do something like create a Vendor Bill, and you're using Analytic Accounting, you create a Journal Entry with Journal Lines of credits and debits.

Screenshot: https://pasteboard.co/K2FIAyp.png

In the screenshot example above, I created a Bill with three Invoice Lines attached to three different Analytic Accounts.

50.00 ->Administrative

30.00 ->Field Service

20.00 ->Research & Development

This generates 4 Journal Lines in a Journal Entry as shown in the screenshot.  Three Debit lines corresponding to the three Invoice Lines and then one Credit line corresponding to Account Payable (account type = payable).

Account Payable -> 100.00

I have a client that wants to take the AP Credit line in the Journal and split that by the Analytic Accounts of the Debit lines so that it would look like:

Account Payable -> 50.00 (Administrative )

Account Payable -> 30.00 (Field Service )

Account Payable -> 20.00 (Research & Development )

So in the end, there would be 6 Journal Lines in the Journal Entry (3 credits and 3 debits) instead of the current 4 that are generated (1 credit and 3 debits).

How can I do this?

Discard

What business problem does this solve? Or, what business decision does this allow to be made easier? If the expenses are already separated by Analytic Account, then there is already a place to find the expenses by account. Adding them to account entries that are temporary (ie: the clear when the Bill is paid) doesn't make sense to me.

Author

@ray I cannot tell you how much I've argued against this; that this was unnecessary. But they are INSISTENT on this.

Author

Their books are extremely complex though I cannot claim to being to understand them (I'm a developer, not an accountant).

Author

@ray when the accountant is looking at a Balance Sheet by Analytic Account, it doesn't reflect the correct payables (in the example above).

Understood but if this was changed when they look next month those payables will be gone. The Profit and Loss shows them. Without knowing what business problem or decision this is supporting you can't be sure that this is the best or easiest solution and can end up in loops of "Oh, now that I have worked with that change I now understand I also need X". You also can't evaluate the ROI of the change to do a cost / benefit analysis to determine if this is a good use of time and money.

Author

@ray For this company who manages a collection of orgs, an Analytic Account represents a separate managed org - and has to have its own Balance Sheet and Income Statement.

But most share the management company's bank accounts so that each of these orgs don't have to have their own checking accounts.

Several things this causes:

Each Analytic account's books must stay in balance : every debit entry MUST HAVE a credit entry for the same Analytic Account. This is basic double entry accounting.

Every time we touch the management company's cash account, we are maintaining a balance account on the Analytic Account side and on the management company side.

I should note two other clients are asking for the same thing.