This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I am having an issue creating vendor bills when the vendor does not bill us for everything that we have received.

Situation: Bill Control is set to Received Quantities. Create RFQ for 1 product with a quantity of 15. Confirm the order and receive the entire quantity. The vendor sends a bill for only 14 of the units. Using Create Bill from the Purchase Order model correctly prepares a bill for the product using a quantity of 15. Edit the bill line's quantity billed to reflect the actual amount of 14. Open up the PO again and Create Bill for the remaining partial vendor bill. The system returns a validation error because there was already a bill associated with that vendor reference number. 

When we receive less material than the PO demand there is a "backorder" function to preserve the original PO demand and create an additional receipt, expected to arrive at a future date. Shouldn't there be something similar for the vendor bill when, for whatever reason, they don't fully bill for the products we received?

It would seem like the solution to this would be to either:

• somehow remove the auto-filled link of the vendor reference number from the purchase order to the bill. 
  • stop using the vendor reference field on the purchase order, and enter the bill reference manually.  
Neither of these seem to be practical solutions. Is there something better that I'm not seeing?

Discard
Author Best Answer

Hi Paresh:

I agree with your first two statements. Here is the problem I have though:

One vendor sales order (vendor reference on PO) can have many vendor bills. This is because our vendor bills us based on the delivery of product, not the sales order. Each time a partial delivery is made, a vendor bill is sent to us. If I go into the purchase order to create a bill with the Create Bill button, it will always try to use the vendor refence of the PO as the vendor bill reference number. There is no issue doing this the first time, but the next time I attempt it, it will trigger the validation error. 

Since we have our bill control based of "received quantities" it would seem like Odoo would NOT try to use the vendor reference on the PO as the vendor bill reference. The very fact that billing is based on received quantities implies vs ordered quantities implies there will be multiple billings under the same PO. 

Discard

Hi Craig: One option, if the process is manual, would be to ask the person creating the vendor bill to update the bill reference with the vendor's invoice number to avoid getting into this situation.

Best Answer

Hi Craig:

The Vendor Reference on the PO should be the vendor's Sales Order number. The Bill Reference on the Vendor Bill should be the vendor's Invoice number. In your example, since you will receive 2 Invoices - 1 for 14 units and another for the 1 unit that was not billed to you earlier, all 3 of these references will be different as they refer to 3 different documents from the vendor.

Hope this helps.

Discard