This question has been flagged
11 Replies

Hi community,

I have 4 columns in a tree view, taking up all the screen. They are very spread out, and I was wondering how to change their column widths. I"ve dug around, and found this link:

https://accounts.openerp.com/forum/Help-1/question/26693

This shows how to add custom css, and apply it on a field. I've followed the methodology exactly, and to me, it seems this only works in FORM view, not tree view. When I try to add a class to my field in tree view, I get XML errors.

Can anyone help me reduce my column widths in a tree view?

Thanks,

Tim

Discard
Best Answer

Hi,

I was facing this problem and I finally found the solution to customize a column in TREE view, only for ONE view ;

Solution 1 that doesn't work :

• xml <field width="200" /> or <field style="width: 200" /> or <field style="width: 30 %%" />

--> width attribute doesn't seem to work in tree view ;

Solution 2 that doesn't work :

• xml <field class="my_class" /> ;
  • css .my_class { width: 1000px;}

--> class attribute doesn't seem to work in tree view ;

Solution 3 that doesn't work :

• xml : <field name="my_field" />
  • css : [data-id="my_field"]{width: 1000px;}

--> this works for ALL the column named "my_field". Not very good if we want to change the render of a column if the field is "name" ;

The workaround I found

• xml : <tree string="Tree String" version="7.0" class="my_class"> <field name="my_field" />
  • css : .my_class [data-id="my_field"]{width: 1000px;}

--> class attribute works on tree tag.

-->To be sure to target only the desired view the name of my class is "myModuleName__myTreeViewName"

Thanks for your feedback.

Discard

Works perfectly, thanks!

works great for setting a single field but what if you want to set the widths for multiple fields?

multiple fields?

it didn't work for me. I am using odoo12 CE.

Has anybody managed to make this work on Odoo 14?

Implementing on v13. Be aware that setting up width via css or scss will break column width tree feature. So you cannot set up column width manually with mouse dragging column name.

Best Answer

This works for me in v.14

xml: tree class="my_class"

css: .my_class {column-width: XXpx;}

Discard

it is working for entire tree, not for each column.

Best Answer

one thing I found in V14 is that if you define a string value to a field in the XML the minimum width is set based on that string value rather than autosizing.Note that any leading or trailing spaces are trimmed -  someone could try a non-viewable character and see if that works.

Hard to believe this issue was opened in 2013 and still open

Discard
Best Answer

I have a Field called "Name" in tree view. I want to increase the column width for this field so the data below does not take up too many lines.

Solution:

<field name="name"/>                <-----------this is the original.

<field name="name" string="    Name    "/> <---------------this is what i have done.

Please note: use ASCII code 255 for space (Alt+255)

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers!

Michael

Discard
Best Answer

Hi I was facing the same problem and apparently in Odoo v16.

It is possible to do : 

Hope it will help someone

Discard

<field witdth="200px">

Best Answer

I solved in v16 as follows:

in style tag or css file: .custom-class table thead > tr > th:nth-child(2) {width: 150px !important;}

in tree tag: class="custom-class"

nth-child(2), where "2" is the column you want to wrap

Discard
Best Answer

Worked on v15

(removed some of the xml because it disappears after posting)

tree col="6"
field name="field1" colspan="2"
field name="field2" colspan="2"
field name="field3" colspan="2"
tree

Discard
Best Answer

I tried all the solutions below but none of this solutions work on Odoo 15. Any idea?

Discard
Best Answer

Use group tag with colspan attribute around your fields.

Discard
Best Answer

I can use it in odoo9. I also use min-width to limit the minimum size of the width.

.my_class [data-id="apply_subject"] {

width:330px !important;

min-width: 130px !important;

}
Discard
Author Best Answer

I ended up solving this the following way:

I added a blank char field in my object definition, called place_holder.

Then, in my tree view I pad it with copies of this field:

<field name="place_holder/"> <field name="place_holder/"> <field name="place_holder/"> <field name="place_holder/"> <field name="place_holder/"> <field name="place_holder/"> <field name="place_holder/">

This is the only work-around I could find. Its a hack, but it does EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Hope this helps someone out there.

-Tim

Discard

@Tim Diamond, I am also facing the same problem of increasing width for a particular field in tree/grid view of purchase order line, can you provide me your suggestion

looks like same solution as above mentioned by Michael Ruban (KJK meisterHonen Pvt. Ltd.,)