This question has been flagged
5 Replies

I would like to run some python code immediately when a user clicks a menu item. Old action-related documention mentions execute as a possible action type:

"Execute: The execution of a method on the server side"

...but there seems to be no other documentation or examples. Has anyone succeeded in doing something similar?

Discard
Best Answer

Hi

There is one way to run python code with click on menu item. By using server action, you can achieve this. You need to make one server action and set it as action parameter in menu item.

Here is an example:

Server Action

<record id="action_make_testing" model="ir.actions.server">

<field name="name">Make Testing</field>

<field name="condition">True</field>

<field name="type">ir.actions.server</field>

<field name="model_id" ref="model_res_partner" />

<field name="state">code</field>

<field name="code">self.test_act(cr, uid, context.get('active_ids', []), context=context)</field>

</record>

In this server action, there is one field "code". You need to set method which you want to call with click on menu. Another one is "model_id". You need to set external id of model in which you define (or make) method, which you want to call. Here, I set "model_res_partner" as model_id. It means, i have defined method "test_act" in res.partner model.

Menu:

<menuitem id='menu_testing' name='Testing' sequence="100" parent="base.menu_base_config"

action="action_make_testing"/>

In menuitem, you need to set external id of server action into action parameter.

Python code to run : Method name = test_act

class res_partner(osv.osv):

_inherit = 'res.partner'

def test_act(self,cr,uid,ids,context={}):

return True 

Discard
Author

Took me a while to return to this issue, but this solution works like a charm. Thanks!

How can we do it in Odoo 9 using api?

Best Answer

Here is my solution for Odoo 11:

*.xml

<record model="ir.actions.server" id="action_upd_printed_invoices">
<field name="name">Invoice Upd 'printed' Server Action</field>
<field name="model_id" ref="model_invoice_printed_upd"/>
<field name="type">ir.actions.server</field>
<field name="state">code</field>
<field name="code">model.on_test_server_action()</field>

</record>

<menuitem id="menu_upd_printed_invoices" name="Some Text..." action="action_upd_printed_invoices" parent="account.menu_finance_configuration" sequence="500"/>

invoice_printed_upd.py

def on_test_server_action(self):
raise Warning(_('Test action!'))

Cheers!

Discard
Best Answer

Hi, have you already been successful calling a python method directly from a menuitem?

Discard