This question has been flagged
1 Reply

in your videos and in the odoo current software version also, you spell cheque as check. 

In English 'cheque' is : "an order to a bank to pay a stated sum from the drawer's account, written on a specially printed form." however...

'check' is: "examine (something) in order to determine its accuracy, quality, or condition, or to detect the presence of something."

i think this is something you should change ASAP, a simple spelling mistake like this really gives a company a bad impression.

Discard
Best Answer

This is not a spelling mistake. The word "check" has the equivalent meaning in American English as "cheque" in British English. In the US context, cheque is rarely if ever used when talking about the same physical document.

Also the provenance of cheque comes from French.

Historical background: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheque

Solution: All Odoo databases allow anyone to load any translation, at any time. In this case, if you are in the UK environment and would like to use the word cheque, go to your main DB dashboard, click on the "green gear wheel"  SETTINGS and from there follow these visual steps: https://www.screencast.com/t/zfoffx90Hf8n

I hope this helps and thanks for commenting.

Discard
Author

Thank you for the historical background. Most of the English language is based on the German language and has many influences from many countries and cultures, like most modern languages. One day I believe all languages will eventually become one universally spoken language, and I doubt it will be like anything we know today :)

I did try your solution as I thought the default English -US would of been the cause also, however I did load the translation, 'English -UK' and updated all the terms in the database yet the work is still spelt 'check'.

No worries, I try help when I can ;)

Sean, 

There is another solution at your database level. Goto DB Settings >> Activate Developer mode >> go back to Settings again >> top menu goto Translations >> drop the menu and select Translated Terms >> sort and search the term you want to change >> under TRANSLATED VALUE, you can change it to anything you want:  https://www.screencast.com/t/kEGdcoUTOTL  

Regards,

Daoud Naouri

Strategic Business Development

E-mail: dan@odoo.com

Direct: +1 (628) 249 1894

250 Executive Park Blvd 

Suite 3400

San Francisco, CA 94134

Want to become an exhibitor at Odoo Connect? Click here to reserve your booth!

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 4:41 PM Sean Jones <sean@glo.systems> wrote:

Thank you for the historical background. Most of the English language is based on the German language and has many influences from many countries and cultures, like most modern languages. One day I believe all languages will eventually become one universally spoken language, and I doubt it will be like anything we know today :)

I did try your solution as I thought the default English -US would of been the cause also, however I did load the translation, 'English -UK' and updated all the terms in the database yet the work is still spelt 'check'.

No worries, I try help when I can ;)

Sent by Odoo S.A. using Odoo.