This question has been flagged
4 Replies

Is it possible to create new product types in addition to Service, Stockable and Consumable, if yes then what areas of Odoo I may need to adjust those in ?

Discard
Author

The product type I need to add would be some thing like Stockable Part

Best Answer

in field definition,

original field is in product module :

'type': fields.selection([('consu', 'Consumable'),('service','Service')], 'Product Type', required=True, help="Consumable are product where you don't manage stock, a service is a non-material product provided by a company or an individual."),

override in stock module :

'type': fields.selection([('product', 'Stockable Product'), ('consu', 'Consumable'), ('service', 'Service')], 'Product Type', required=True, help="Consumable: Will not imply stock management for this product. \nStockable product: Will imply stock management for this product."),

create a new module depending stock module and override the field by adding tuple you need to the selection field

Discard
Best Answer

As Cyril wrote it shouldn't be a problem, tested similar things in my system and it works so .... go ahead :)

Backup first and copy original file before make any changes.

Discard

What means "works"? Technically or did you do a comprehensive end-to-end testing of the consistency of the quantity and value flows over all business processes of the complete value chain?

Technically ... you can add whatever you want and it will be displayed if set but will it do anything else .... will system treat it as Stockable, Consumable, Service or Event. I'm not sure is there any function attached to each of these elements ? If so, New product will not work as the other works.

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 9:07 AM, Ermin Trevisan <trevi@twanda.com> wrote:

What means "works"? Technically or did you do a comprehensive end-to-end testing of the consistency of the quantity and value flows over all business processes of the complete value chain?

--
Ermin Trevisan
Sent by Odoo S.A. using Odoo access your messages

Best Answer

As Cyril explained, you can quite easily do that. But are you sure about the consequences? Why would you like to do that at all? What is the difference between a stockable product and a stockable part? Do you know what happens with your warehouse management, the inventory valuation, your bill of materials (if any) etc.? What if you have to deliver spare parts? Product definition is at the heart of an ERP system, I would never ever do something like that.

Discard

your right, he should override all methods which test type of product for stock management inventory ...., possible but good luke !

prefer use a category or add a boolean field on product object.