This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Hi guys,

Could anybody provide me with a guide/demo/tutorial about Jasper reports in Odoo V8?
I found the source code for V8 here: https://github.com/JayVora-SerpentCS/Jasperv8
The module installed without any problems and under settings > Technical I have two new items for Jasper reports.
From here on I am clueless though. If I understand this correctly you make an XML which specifies the model through 'Create Data Template'? But what then?

There are no tutorials or guides to be found and especially not for Odoo V8. Could anybody help me out here?

Update: I found out there is demo data in this module. When you create a new database with the option for demo data ticked on you can see this under settings > Users. This directly throws up an error when you want to print though:

2015-02-27 12:54:05,204 9529 WARNING JasperReports openerp.pooler: openerp.pooler.get_db_and_pool() is deprecated.
2015-02-27 12:54:05,210 9529 INFO JasperReports openerp.addons.jasper_reports.jasper_report: Requested report: '/odoo/odoo-server/addons/jasper_reports/demo/user.jrxml'
WARNING: path '' already exists in report. This is not supported by the module. Offending fields: name, login
2015-02-27 12:54:05,213 9529 INFO JasperReports openerp.addons.jasper_reports.jasper_report: Temporary data file: '/tmp/tmpdrkJYh'
2015-02-27 12:54:05,214 9529 WARNING JasperReports openerp.addons.jasper_reports.JasperReports.BrowseDataGenerator: Field '' (path: ) does not exist in model 'res.users'.
2015-02-27 12:54:05,238 9529 ERROR JasperReports openerp.service.report: Exception: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/openerp/service/report.py", line 93, in go
    result, format = openerp.report.render_report(cr, uid, ids, object, datas, context)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/openerp/report/__init__.py", line 40, in render_report
    return registry['ir.actions.report.xml'].render_report(cr, uid, ids, name, data, context)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/openerp/api.py", line 237, in wrapper
    return old_api(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/openerp/addons/base/ir/ir_actions.py", line 150, in render_report
    return new_report.create(cr, uid, res_ids, data, context)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/addons/jasper_reports/jasper_report.py", line 265, in create
    return r.execute()
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/addons/jasper_reports/jasper_report.py", line 150, in execute
    pages = self.executeReport(dataFile, outputFile, subreportDataFiles)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/addons/jasper_reports/jasper_report.py", line 230, in executeReport
    return server.execute(connectionParameters, self.reportPath, outputFile, parameters)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/addons/jasper_reports/JasperReports/JasperServer.py", line 100, in execute
    self.start()
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/addons/jasper_reports/JasperReports/JasperServer.py", line 84, in start
    process = subprocess.Popen(command, env=env, cwd=cwd)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1327, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
2015-02-27 12:54:05,455 9529 ERROR JasperReports openerp.addons.web.controllers.main: An exception occured during an http request
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/addons/web/controllers/main.py", line 69, in wrap
    return f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/addons/web/controllers/main.py", line 1570, in index
    request.session.db, request.session.uid, request.session.password, report_id)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/openerp/http.py", line 807, in proxy_method
    result = dispatch_rpc(self.service_name, method, args)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/openerp/http.py", line 100, in dispatch_rpc
    result = dispatch(method, params)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/openerp/service/report.py", line 34, in dispatch
    res = fn(db, uid, *params)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/openerp/service/report.py", line 141, in exp_report_get
    return _check_report(report_id)
  File "/odoo/odoo-server/openerp/service/report.py", line 119, in _check_report
    raise openerp.osv.orm.except_orm(exc.message, exc.traceback)
except_orm: (u'2\nNo such file or directory', (<type 'exceptions.OSError'>, OSError(2, 'No such file or directory'), <traceback object at 0x7fe10d0e4e60>))

With kind regards
Yenthe

Discard

@Yenthe,

I'm in a simiilar position with Aeroo Reports (Official). There seems to be zero in the way of documentation or online guides. I'll post back here if I come across anything useful.

Author

@Luke Thanks! Documentation seems to be a problem for about everything that has to do with Odoo and reporting.. Whenever I know how this work I'll write out documentation/tuts for Jasper reports.

@Yenthe, this is a contribution and we migrated the v7 code to make it usable in v8. Its a big module, being busy we hven't been able to write any doc. As soon as we are free to do this, we shall give this a top priority. Thanks.

@Yenthe,

I agree with you. I'll be focusing on getting Aeroo up and running, as there are a number of useful dependant modules that I need to implement in my own projects. I'll write a short tutorial if and when I can get it up and running. If not i'll look again at Jasper.

If you do manage to figure out the basics for Jasper though I think it would make a great tutorial for your collection. I for one would be very interested to see a guide for this if you can figure it out.

@Serpent,

This is great news! I look forward to seeing some docs soon, thank you.

Author

@Luke great to hear! Documentation is what Odoo needs, there is far to little. Some good tutorials really save you hours of time really! I will figure out Jasper eventually and I'll write a blog article about it afterwards too, so others do not have to search and test like I will. I'll keep you updated. @Serpent, Great to hear! Could you just give a very short explanation about how to create a new report? I'm sure if I get the basic info that I can figure it out and write a tutorial about it!

Aeroo is again a nice option!

Author

Updated my question. @Serpent your module seems to throw errors with the demo data?

Yenthe, Please check you have enough access to the temp file. Otherwise, the report file user.jrxml might be pointing to wrong field!

Author

Do you mean to the files in the folder of the module? I've given full read/write/modify rights for all users on the VM and still I get this error. Or do you mean something else?

Author

And in case you're talking about the /tmp folder.. this also has full read/write/modify rights!

Author

Anybody? Still no solution on this.

@Yenthe,

Just a heads up i've completed a first draft for installing Aeroo Reports in Odoo 8.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 here:

https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/8-0-how-can-i-install-the-official-aeroo-reports-alistek-for-odoo-version-8-76044

There is still an error message on the AerooDOCS configuration, however it does not seem to be a show-stopper in terms of using the module or related dependant modules like this one:

https://github.com/ingadhoc/odoo-addons/tree/8.0/product_catalog_aeroo_report

I'll tackle writing a guide on customising or creating a report from scratch using this reporting platform when I can find time.

Author

Great job Luke! Sadly I really need to find out how Jasper works as this is the specific request. While Aeroo looks interesting this is not something I'll learn/use for now. Have you managed to find out more about Jasper reports? There seems to be nothing available about this..

@Yenthe,

I've finally finished the first draft of an installation script for Aeroo Reports, and will tackle Jasper Reports as soon as I can find time.

Did you manage to figure out an installation method for this in the end? I'd be interested to know how you got on.

Author

@Luke Nice to hear! I personally haven't had time to look into Jasper reports anymore but I'm still interested in it so if you do get it working please let me know. I'd probably write a blog article about this too, there is by far too little information about this. :) And thanks for the link!

Best Answer

Some helpful URLs:

Please see Please see : http://www.serpentcs.com/serpentcs-jasper-report-openerpodoo
We saw the report works well !

https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/jasperreport-and-openerp-7-with-parameters-how-to-33534

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYtxtH_KGU4

http://www.nan-tic.com/en/2009/integration-of-jasper-reports-into-openerp/

http://www.zbeanztech.com/blog/jasper-reports-openerp-basics

Thanks.

Discard
Best Answer

Hi Yenthe,

Just open the User's Form view and above the form view you will file "Jasper Users". This is the menu from where the demo reports being called and printed.

You will see the technical information in the "jasper_demo.xml" file. which is located in the "jasper_reports" folder.

Regards,

Hardik

Discard
Author

Thanks for the reaction Hardikgiri! Alright the only code you need to add for the report is just like jasper_demo.xml? Just one XML file with those settings modified to the correct model etc? And about the this is the menu from where the demo reports being called and printed. Where exactly can I print the demo report out? I do not see any option on the user.

Hi Yenthe,
Further more I need to see by installing the jasper report and the module you have installed.
Don't worry I will do it and send you the updates.
Actually I am looking for the work/job in Odoo, If you have then you can refer Me.

On 3:51PM, Thu, Feb 26, 2015 Yenthe <yenthespam@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for the reaction Hardikgiri! Alright the only code you need to add for the report is just like jasper_demo.xml? Just one XML file with those settings modified to the correct model etc? And about the this is the menu from where the demo reports being called and printed. Where exactly can I print the demo report out? I do not see any option on the user.

--
Yenthe
Sent by Odoo S.A. using Odoo about Forum Post Jasper reports guide/demo for Odoo V8 (77748)
Author

Hardik keep me updated! I'd love to find out more about these reports since they look promising :) I'm sorry but I can't offer you a job in Odoo at the moment, I'm no boss or anything.

Author

Update: You need to create a demo database, then you get the option to print out the users with Jasper. Sadly even the demo gives an error..

@Yenthe,

Would you be able to post some of the errors/tracebacks as gists on your github account along with steps to reproduce each one?

I'd like to take a look at Jasper Reports as well, as Aeroo and Jasper seem to be the most highly recommended reporting engines for Odoo.

For Aeroo there were some parts of the code that had not been fully migrated to the new 8.0 API from the old 7.0 API, and with some help from some community members on this forum I was able to get things working with some changes to the developer's original code that was still using the 7.0 API.

I'll be trying to get a working installation of Jasper this week or next if I can find time, so I would like to see what issues you've already run into if possible.