This question has been flagged
4 Replies

I can understand it is not simple to do and to avoid another one to disturb.

How Odoo is tackling these non-wanted insiders?

At least all serious users must avoid losing their efforts and time by NOT CLICKING on these posts from newloo... or others

Discard

Not just newlook, so many crazy users are there, who just posts unwanted stuffs...

A post from Odoo forum's regulator could warn all the community and recommend users not to loose their time opening and answering such posts that are promoting suspicious and illegal activities (be they true or not)
AdLibitom
Le 16/10/2014 13:46, deep a écrit :
<blockquote cite="mid:1413459994.482713937759399.861581312821023-openerp-65749-forum.post@accounts.odoo.com" type="cite">

Not just newlook, so many crazy users are there, who just posts unwanted stuffs...

--
deep
Sent by OpenERP S.A. using Odoo about Forum Post How to kill /ban the hacker/user newlook from this forum?

On a sidenote, keep downvoting his new 'questions'. If he drops under 2 karma he can't make new topics. I took the time to downvote all his malicious posts :-) So now he can't post anymore.

I have had contact with some people from Odoo and they are currently working on a more permanent solution to this. In the meanwhile, the removed the user and most of the spam-posts.

Building on @Yinthe and @Ad Libitom answers a HowTo for experienced users could highlight the importance of their combined effort to handle the trolling and spamming in the forum without relying to much on hierachy. Also incentives for sorting out spam should be given

I also have deleted so many spam answers and questions but its no use. We need something that will make forum better and clean same as other forums.

Best Answer

The forum is self-moderated by the users, so it is always possible to manually downvote user posts and close their questions. However this should be a last resort for manual spam, and we definitely need to spare these effort to the users as much as possible.

Here are the things we have done to limit the spam level at this point:

• Mass-delete the spam posts and the corresponding users via an automated procedure. Probably did not catch 100% but a good share of the spam.
  • Fixed the karma system so karma levels are checked also when posting new questions, answers and comments (previously if was not checked so users with negative karma were still able to post). This will enable users and moderators to permanently block a spammer by lowering him to a negative karma.
  • Change the karma level temporarily:
    • a karma of 20 is now required to be able to post or answer a question (yes obviously this is a problem for new users, we will lower this later - see below)
    • removed the karma bonus given by posting questions/answers (you should only get bonus if someone else upvotes your posts)
  • Work-in-progress:  we are planning to add an optional email validation step on the forum - if you just signed up and have 0 karma you would get a notice on the forum index: you can validate your email and get some karma - just enough to be able to post your first question.

We hope to finish the deployment and fix the karma levels accordingly in the coming days.

Discard
Author

Thanks Olivier for your "institutionnal" action against spams. New users will surely understand the rules.

Hello Olivier, Thanks your your job, I'm not sure how you are migrating the past earned points, but from today, I'm not able to post any new question and I have 25 karma points. I tried to log out and log in, clear cache, new window, other browser, etc.. but I'm always getting the same error "20 karma are required to perform..." Are you working on that? What can I do to post a question or make my points valid?

Hi, any dev on implementing captcha based on post rate or something?

@Alejandro, the issue with karma should be solved now. We hope to introduce the email validation soon. @BenBernard: anything that is based on identifying a particular pattern on a single user will unfortunately not work, these guys use botnets and each "user" is different, with a different IP from a different country, different email, etc.

@OliverDony, why not start with tracking post activity with specific user. Detecting source of user is indeed, hard problem. And I think captcha is effective to slow down botnet activity or even make it give up.

@Olivier,

I think an Akismet clone for Odoo would be a great way to fight this. Automattic (Wordpress) offers a free tier for personal users, as well as business tiers depending on your requirements:

akismet.com/plans/

This could start as a simple RBL and/or DNSBL and evolve from there as Akismet has over the years.

I think it would be best if this could be offered as a service that operates through an Odoo addon (similar to Akismet) as this would allow you to constantly upgrade the code in the service depending on your spam fighting requirements, and allow you both a free (personal use) tier for mass adoption (thus making it more effective), and different business tiers.

This addon/service would not be immediately effective, however with mass adoption I think this could be an incredibly effective spam fighting tool for Odoo website/e-commerce users, as once one user connected to the service flags an email address as spam it could be flagged throughout the entire network connected to the service as a red flag. Something like this could be implemented on multiple levels as well (eg. Contact Form, comments, reviews, etc.).

I for one know that I would be happy to pay a (nominal) fee per month or year to subscribe to a service for the Odoo platform if I knew that it would cut down the time I waste every day sifting through garbage forum posts, comments, etc.

Best Answer

Users with over 300 karma could edit the topic or with 1.000 karma they could be deleted. Sadly barely anybody has that karma here so nobody can do anything about it. Odoo misses a report button.

Discard

For your information, I deleted almost 30 posts yesterday and the day before, but I am but one guy. An automatic spammerbot can post more than I can remove and furthermore I have no option to ban people. That is something an Odoo administrator will have to do.

also i close all his posts as soon as i see them..

Best Answer

I think that the best idea is to have some moderators, who will clean the forum from bad post and annoying users. This moderators should have a badge or something that show us that they are moderators, so we know who they are and write them in case of problems.

Discard

Like any other board works indeed :)

Best Answer

Also... might be a good idea to implement a rule that prohibits a user that has some number of posts closed as spam from posting new messages... 
I'm constantly closing such posts, and as i can see i'm not the only one,
(with my current karma point i can only close post and tag it spam )
So, the comunitiy members are doing all in their power to keep this forum clean of spam,
and applying such additional rules will make our job (self assigned duty ) easier:)

Discard