This question has been flagged

I have spent the better part of the afternoon trying to install from a .deb, add the repos to my sources and install with aptitude and finally installing via git+python and none of them result in a working odoo server.

Installing via apt-get or the .deb file will install fine but odoo will not start and there are no logs or output that really gives much of a clue why

Trying to install from git results in this:

error: pathspec 'master' did not match any file(s) known to git.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 162, in <module>
  File "<stdin>", line 154, in main
  File "<stdin>", line 144, in cmd_setup
  File "<stdin>", line 95, in cmd_setup_git
  File "<stdin>", line 39, in run
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 540, in check_call
    raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command '('git', 'checkout', 'master')' returned non-zero exit status 1

I have upgraded python to 2.7.8 which I thought might have been causing some of this but still nothing is working.  Is there any way to get Odoo 8 installed on this system?

thanks

Discard

Yesterday I simple added on sources.list the odoo master (v9.0 alpha1) repositories, update, upgrade then apt-get install openerp and installed flawlessly in a fresh Debian Wheezy Netinstall installation. I should try on v8 RC_1 and try.

Hmm, I did exactly this with a V8 RC_1 and odoo refused to start.. No messages telling my why, it would say [ok] when the server command was run but it wuold never actually start on the install with aptitude doing what you describe :(

From: "ERBE Industria Metalurgica SRL" <comunicacion@erbe.com.ar>
To: "Ryan" <netflow@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 10:31:57 AM
Subject: Re: Can Odoo 8 be installed on Debian 6 ?

Yesterday I simple added on sources.list the odoo master (v9.0 alpha1) repositories, update, upgrade then apt-get install openerp and installed flawlessly in a fresh Debian Wheezy Netinstall installation. I should try on v8 RC_1 and try.

--
ERBE Industria Metalurgica SRL
Sent by OpenERP S.A. using Odoo about Forum Post Can Odoo 8 be installed on Debian 6 ?

Get into this folder: /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openerp-RC(whatever)/ there you will find a few files, the requires.txt is the one that you should have a look and check if you got all dependecies installed that odoo needs.

Last night were some changes on nightly releases and have now the same issue after upgrade. Odoo does not start.