This question has been flagged
3 Replies

Hi Gurus, 

On Ebay, Amazon as well as many e-commerce websites, they use slides to show multiple pictures at the left-top section. I wonder if Odoo has similar functions. I tested it but so far I can only upload one image for one product. Every time I load a new image the old one is gone. So my question is: Can I add multiple image to a single product in v8 so the e-commerce page will display multiple images?

Thanks a lot!

Discard
Author

Hi Kurt, Thanks for the information, hope this can be addressed soon. Regards

Hi Luke, 

Thank you for your comment, that is really helpful. I am new to this Odoo forum and I accidentally delete your comments, could you put it back again or do you mind that I copy your answer and put it back to my question?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the trouble. 

Regards
-Bill

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Luke <luke-weairsoft-com@openerp.my.openerp.com> wrote:

Hi Bill, I am just learning Odoo v7 and v8 as well so I am by no means an expert, however from my understanding that functionality can only be achieved though third-party modules at this point in time. There's a similar discussion here: https://code.launchpad.net/~serpentcs/openerp-web/multi-image-7.0 and the module for v7 can be found here: https://code.launchpad.net/~serpentcs/openerp-web/multi-image-7.0 I think it would be a very useful addition to v8, although I think it may require the use of custom snippets (eg. http://bootsnipp.com/snippets/featured/article-carousel-with-images-indicators) may be necessary at this point in time, as I have not seen any activity in the runbots (runbot.odoo.com) with this type of functionality.

--
Luke Sent by OpenERP S.A. using OpenERP. Access your messages and documents in Odoo

Bill,

the Odoo people are proving quite expert at providing unexpected behaviour from their UI - not the best thing in the world that !

Kurt

Hi Luke, 

Thank you for your comment, that is really helpful. I am new to this Odoo forum and I accidentally delete your comments, could you put it back again or do you mind that I copy your answer and put it back to my question?

Thanks a lot and sorry for the trouble. 

Regards
-Bill

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Luke <luke-weairsoft-com@openerp.my.openerp.com> wrote:

Hi Bill, I am just learning Odoo v7 and v8 as well so I am by no means an expert, however from my understanding that functionality can only be achieved though third-party modules at this point in time. There's a similar discussion here: https://code.launchpad.net/~serpentcs/openerp-web/multi-image-7.0 and the module for v7 can be found here: https://code.launchpad.net/~serpentcs/openerp-web/multi-image-7.0 I think it would be a very useful addition to v8, although I think it may require the use of custom snippets (eg. http://bootsnipp.com/snippets/featured/article-carousel-with-images-indicators) may be necessary at this point in time, as I have not seen any activity in the runbots (runbot.odoo.com) with this type of functionality.

--
Luke Sent by OpenERP S.A. using OpenERP. Access your messages and documents in Odoo

--
Bill Zheng Sent by OpenERP S.A. using OpenERP. Access your messages and documents in Odoo

Best Answer

Bill,

you are right that only a single product image can be used on the ecommerce front end as on now (just before v8 is launched). I don't think multiple product images will come in v8 but we have to hope that it will be one of the key things that is added for v9, as this is one of the most obvious weaknesses of the odoo ecommerce when compared with eg magento, oscommerce, opencart etc. Obviously the presence of a third party module is helpful, but I am hoping that this is added as a core feature and is available to users of odoo's saas - this would guarantee the long-term compatibility and stability of the code.

Discard

@Kurt, Would you be able to check this module out and give me your feedback when you have time? I've pushed the most recent features to the 8.0 branch: https://github.com/OdooCommunityWidgets/website_multi_image.git I'll get back to you on your email soon, my apologies, i've been in mainland China without internet access for a few weeks.

Luke,

sorry I don't think that I responded at the time regarding your multi-image module. The last 18 months have seen me first sign up for enterprise, then ditch it for v9 community and now I'm back on v10 enterprise, trying to get all my legacy data migrated across. I am pretty happy with the fact that the odoo guys launched v10 on time and that a number of the previous holes have been plugged, plus there are some good and relatively cheap paid for modules available which bring odoo ecommerce almost up to scratch - but that's for future rollout (for me) - I need now to get off my old accounts system and onto an odoo based one so that I have at least the back-office working properly before I try and tack on a lovely new odoo ecommerce front end.

I was emailing because I noticed that you did a fine job in persuading Yenthe and then seemingly Odoo of getting payment methods to be controlled by country and region here:- https://github.com/odoo/odoo/issues/12310

This is just the sort of functionality that exists in pretty much every other ecommerce platform in the world so congratulations - I would like to do something similiar but specifically restrict payment methods to customer groups and/or tags so that, for example, it is possible to allow every customer to pay with a credit card, but only certain pre-authorised or well-established customers to place online orders via ecommerce using a customer nett30 day credit account (eg with simply an order number or a pdf of the official order) - this would avoid me having to do any data reentry and lower the barrier to a customer for placing a (hopefully genuine) order.

Do you think that your success in getting them to take this was essentially down to the fact that you had already programmed it for them ?

BTW I still plan to introduce some aftership shipment tracking, but this would be phase 1b, after I do the first backoffice migration and get that running.

regards

Kurt

Dr. Kurt Haselwimmer
Director

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hertford Developments Ltd
Willow House, 100 High Street, Somersham, PE28 3EH
Tel +44 (0) 845 899 0257  Fax +44 (0) 845 899 0259

@Kurt, Would you be able to check this module out and give me your feedback when you have time? I've pushed the most recent features to the 8.0 branch: https://github.com/OdooCommunityWidgets/website_multi_image.git I'll get back to you on your email soon, my apologies, i've been in mainland China without internet access for a few weeks.

--
Luke
Sent by Odoo S.A. using Odoo about Forum Post False

Hi Kurt,

Long time no see! Sorry I haven't checked the forums in quite awhile now.

Regarding the module for payment method restriction by country, honestly I did not do any programming for that one I just proposed an idea which seemed to resonate with the Odoo SA guys.

I certainly see the use case of being able to restrict by customer group, etc. so that you could restrict wire transfer payment option perhaps only to a wholesaler/distributor customer group in the case of multi-channel B2B and B2C use of the e-commerce frontend to allow both distributors and retail customers to place their orders online.

What I would suggest is create a new issue outlining a use case example and then reference my original feature request issue, and tag @Yenthe666 to ask him if he wouldn't considering this as a feature request.

I would certainly use this functionality, and I believe there are many others that would as well. If Odoo SA doesn't accept it in the core though then it may be worthwhile looking into building a community module to include these features.

I have the need to offer a wire transfer method only to certain distributor/wholesale customers, so I would definitely be interested in getting involved with development if it is not going to be a core feature.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 3:52 PM, Kurt Haselwimmer <kurt@hertford-developments.co.uk> wrote:

sorry I don't think that I responded at the time regarding your multi-image module. The last 18 months have seen me first sign up for enterprise, then ditch it for v9 community and now I'm back on v10 enterprise, trying to get all my legacy data migrated across. I am pretty happy with the fact that the odoo guys launched v10 on time and that a number of the previous holes have been plugged, plus there are some good and relatively cheap paid for modules available which bring odoo ecommerce almost up to scratch - but that's for future rollout (for me) - I need now to get off my old accounts system and onto an odoo based one so that I have at least the back-office working properly before I try and tack on a lovely new odoo ecommerce front end.

I was emailing because I noticed that you did a fine job in persuading Yenthe and then seemingly Odoo of getting payment methods to be controlled by country and region here:- https://github.com/odoo/odoo/issues/12310

This is just the sort of functionality that exists in pretty much every other ecommerce platform in the world so congratulations - I would like to do something similiar but specifically restrict payment methods to customer groups and/or tags so that, for example, it is possible to allow every customer to pay with a credit card, but only certain pre-authorised or well-established customers to place online orders via ecommerce using a customer nett30 day credit account (eg with simply an order number or a pdf of the official order) - this would avoid me having to do any data reentry and lower the barrier to a customer for placing a (hopefully genuine) order.

Do you think that your success in getting them to take this was essentially down to the fact that you had already programmed it for them ?

BTW I still plan to introduce some aftership shipment tracking, but this would be phase 1b, after I do the first backoffice migration and get that running.

regards

Kurt

Dr. Kurt Haselwimmer
Director

Hertford Developments Ltd
Willow House, 100 High Street, Somersham, PE28 3EH
------------------------------------------------------------

--
Luke
Sent by Odoo S.A. using Odoo about Forum Post False

--
Kurt Haselwimmer

Sent by Odoo S.A. using Odoo.

Best Answer

I have created a (very quick and dirty) module that will allow you to store 22 product images inside the product form that can be pulled into your custom website template using by adding some logic to your website's product view page.

Just clone the following git repository here into your /addons directory:

https://github.com/lukebranch/website_multi-image

and install as you would a normal Odoo addon. In order to add the product images into your custom website template's product page you can just use the following logic inside whatever div (or other tag) you'd like to duplicate for images:

t-if="not product.x_product_image_1 == null"

for example:

<div t-if="not product.x_product_image_1 == null">
<!-- Add your image container here -->
<span itemprop="image" t-field="product.x_product_image_1" t-field-options="{&quot;widget&quot;: &quot;image&quot;, &quot;class&quot;: &quot;product_detail_img&quot;}" class="img-responsive img-rounded"/>
</div>

Just change the _1 in the t-if statement and t-field statement above each time you want to add an extra image to the template, for example the following code adds image field 2:

<div t-if="not product.x_product_image_2 == null">
<!-- Add your image container here -->
<span itemprop="image" t-field="product.x_product_image_2" t-field-options="{&quot;widget&quot;: &quot;image&quot;, &quot;class&quot;: &quot;product_detail_img&quot;}" class="img-responsive img-rounded"/>
</div>

The t-if statement is designed to check if a product image field contains an image, and if not, just hide what is contained inside that tag.

While this is certainly a quick and dirty method and is not by any means the ideal way to accomplish this, it does allow you to have multiple images on your product page and will allow you to import and export images using the field names (eg: x_product_image_2) to allow for mass import/export and mass updates by CSV.

Please comment back if you run into any issues or would like to discuss, and create an issue on the github repository for this module if you find a bug or run into an issue while using it:

https://github.com/lukebranch/website_multi-image/issues

​I hope it helps!

Discard
Author Best Answer

I am new to use this forum and it looks I accidentally deleted a very valuable comment by mistake. I am so sorry for the mistake. Basically I was suggested to check a third party add on which is avalible in V7, and suggested me to visit this web page for more information: http://bootsnipp.com/snippets/featured/article-carousel-with-images-indicators

Update:

Luke Branch has provided a great solution for this, thanks very much Luke. I have installed the addon and looks this is great. It's hard to put detail here so I put it in my blog, here is the post: http://billzheng2004-bill.blogspot.com/2015/01/put-multiple-images-for-product-in-odoo.html. 

Discard

That's fine for rendering the images, but you still need to have some way to store them on the backend that will not immediately become incompatible once the next version is released. I suspect that the module that you were referring to was:- https://code.launchpad.net/~serpentcs/openerp-web/multi-image-7.0

Author

Hi Kurt, yes that is what the comments I deleted refer to. I hope Odoo team can address this issue soon, as you have said, this is a pretty important ecommerce website feature. -Regards

Bill,

curious how you got to email me directly - not that that's a bad thing - it's something I've been hoping for for some time - specifically so that users can get together to try and exert development pressure coherently.

regards

Kurt

Hi Kurt, yes that is what the comments I deleted refer to. I hope Odoo team can address this issue soon, as you have said, this is a pretty important ecommerce website feature. -Regards

--
Bill Zheng Sent by OpenERP S.A. using OpenERP. Access your messages and documents in Odoo

Hi Kurt, 

Honestly I don't know. But looks I got email from you too. Here is the email I got. I thought it is about my setting based on the purple color notes at the bottom of the email. But when I check my setting there is nothing particular for it. I lost clue :)

regards
-Bill

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Kurt Haselwimmer <kurt@hertford-developments.co.uk> wrote:
Bill,

curious how you got to email me directly - not that that's a bad thing - it's something I've been hoping for for some time - specifically so that users can get together to try and exert development pressure coherently.

regards

Kurt

--

--
Kurt Haselwimmer Sent by OpenERP S.A. using OpenERP. Access your messages and documents in Odoo

I agree, it is just a workaround to allow the frontend presentation you require. I believe it would be best if multiple product images were able to be assigned to a product in the core, allowing for the selection of a default image for invoice size (eg. 64px x 64 px as it is now), thumbnail (for product category view in e-commerce) and standard website size view for product view pages in a similar manner to Magento. This would also allow for mass importing of products with their corresponding product picture galleries which is possible in Magento (with Magmi). Being able to import images from a URL in a CSV rather than base64 only would also be a very useful feature and then being able to import and export as such between different databases for product updates and migration would be a very useful feature.

I'll be working on the Qweb markup required to change that snippet into a functional gallery snippet for the custom themes (ie. Zen and the Bootswatch themes). I'll post back here with the results once it's finished.

Author

Hi Luke, great to hear that you will working on this. I spent some time to review the database structure, I feel that a new table(product_image(s)?) is needed for holding multiple images. And I feel to me it may be better put images in file system than keep in database for slideshow generating purpose.

@Bill Zheng, I've finally gotten around to creating a module for this (collaborating with github.com/csrocha). If you'd like to try the first (alpha) version for 8.0 you can run the following in your addons directory: sudo git clone -b 8.0 https://github.com/OdooCommunityWidgets/website_multi_image.git I've left it completely un-styled at the moment to allow for developers to style it to their own requirements, however I will add some bundled 'themes' when I can find time to make it easier for the average user to implement a good looking image gallery on their product page. Please let me know your thoughts and/or feedback.