This question has been flagged
2 Replies

Has anyone found a module to track inbound and outbound shipments? I would like tracking numbers to display back on the sales orders, invoices, delivery orders for both inbound and outbound stock movements. That way when my employees take calls from customers regarding the status of their orders they can simply look up tracking in OpenERP rather than having to contact the vendor or check our shipping manifest in the warehouse.

Ideally OpenERP would integrate with our shipping software (UPS and FedEx) but for the time being I'm more concerned with just having a field to store the tracking information. I am aware that delivery orders have a "carrier tracking ref" field but once that is entered the tracking number appears no-where else in the system, so it is fairly useless. Also that field is not available on inbound delivery orders.

Thanks!

Discard

I'm looking for the same as well.

Like Josh, I'm just looking for a field to store the carrier tracking numbers which appears on my docs. Is this part of the core functionality? BTW did you guys find an answer? Please post it to help others like me. Thanks.

I'd be interested in an answer to this also - it was rather easy to add this feature to our online cart system (opencart) but I have not yet found any way to do this in openERP.

Best Answer

To achieve comprehensive tracking of inbound and outbound shipments with carrier tracking numbers in OpenERP (now known as Odoo), you would ideally set up integration between Odoo and your shipping software/providers (e.g., UPS and FedEx). This would allow tracking data to be automatically fetched and updated.

However, if you're looking for a simpler and immediate solution, here are some steps you can follow:

1. Custom Field for Tracking:
    • Add a custom field, such as 'Carrier Tracking Number', to Sales Orders, Invoices, and any other relevant documents.
    • This way, when a tracking number is available, it can be manually entered into this field, making it easily accessible to anyone reviewing the document.
  2. Automate Tracking Number Inheritance:
    • Using Odoo's server actions or automated actions, you can set up a system where once the tracking number is entered into the delivery order, it gets automatically copied to the associated sales order, invoice, or other relevant documents.
  3. Visibility of Tracking Numbers:
    • Modify your views/forms to display the 'Carrier Tracking Number' prominently so that it's easily visible to employees reviewing the document.
  4. Integration with Carriers:
    • For a more automated approach, you might want to look into modules or plugins that integrate Odoo with UPS, FedEx, or other carriers. This could allow for automatic fetching of tracking numbers as soon as shipments are processed with the carriers.
    • Odoo has an active community and a plethora of modules. Some modules may already exist that provide this functionality. If not, you can consider getting one developed.
  5. Notifications and Alerts:
    • Set up automatic notifications or alerts for employees or customers whenever a tracking number is updated or added.
  6. Inbound Shipments:
    • For inbound shipments, if the 'Carrier Tracking Ref' field is not available, you can follow a similar approach by adding a custom field and setting up automated actions to copy this tracking number to associated purchase orders or receipts.
  7. Tracking Portal:
    • Consider setting up a portal or dashboard where employees can simply enter an order number and retrieve the associated tracking number and status. This would streamline the process of providing customers with order status updates

Discard
Best Answer

no answer yet? :(

Discard