Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

Why timesheets are linked to a User instead to an Employee ?

By
assd
on 8/31/13, 2:09 PM 2,249 views

As per subject timesheets are User based so you should create a system user foreach timesheed you want to manage. Really timesheet are prepared starting fro Employee form but records are stored using user_id.

In fact if you try to prepare a timesheet for an employee who is not linked to a system user openerp reply with "employee should be linked to a user" and you can't go on...

thanks in advance for some answer rgds

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 8/31/13, 2:42 PM

An employee is someone who works for you.

A user is someone who logs into OpenERP.

Since you can't fill out a timesheet without logging in, timesheets are linked to a user, which is then linked to an employee.

Not every employee may login, so not every employee is a user.

Yes but I could have many employee who is working on field and they don't use a computer so theese employee fills a timesheet on paper than a secretary make the data entry. Another case is when you have a worker on contract (or subcontract) for short time.. you have to create a system user for this too... generally speaking a timesheet is related to someone is working for me not to an openerp user :)

assd
on 8/31/13, 3:35 PM

Perhaps a way to log hours for employees who are not users is to use expenses?

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 9/1/13, 2:33 AM

The suggestion is very valid, I agree it is a very likely scenario that many employees are not filling their timesheets online, but rather on paper. Submit a bugreport at https://bugs.launchpad.net/openobject-addons/+filebug

Tamás Dombos
on 9/1/13, 11:00 AM

I don't think it will be considered a bug. A better place to log this as a requested feature would be at http://feedback.openerp.com/forums/87923-human-resources

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 9/1/13, 6:30 PM

I agree this issue can't be considered a bug but I think is a bad design concept. I found this http://feedback.openerp.com/forums/87919-project/suggestions/1509145-makes-employee-resource-user-creation-more-straigh and this http://www.mail-archive.com/openerp-expert-service@lists.launchpad.net/msg00029.html that enforce my opinion. Unfortunately both are old and without follow-up

assd
on 9/2/13, 6:31 AM

I agree with you. Design ... just a weird one

gunnar
on 9/9/13, 10:15 AM

Any ideas to implement it ?

A V
on 9/15/13, 9:36 AM

I think that timesheets link should be changed from user to employee...maybe this link is in many dependencies. I hope that current design strategy doesn't depend from $$... because, as you know, OpenERP Enterprise is also paid per user ?!?!

assd
on 9/17/13, 1:47 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 8/31/13, 2:09 PM
Seen: 2249 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM