This question has been flagged
8 Replies

Hello everyone

I wanted to install Odoo 10 on a linux but I don't know which distro is good for development and have better performance?

What about Windows, is it better than linux?

Discard
Best Answer

Hi Sajjad,

There is not a very big difference on which Linux distro you'd take. Most of the people use Ubuntu 16.x and the second most used distro is probably Debian. I'd personally go for Ubuntu 16.x as this is used by the most people and is slightly more stable than Debian in my opinion.
I'd highly advice you not to use Windows though. Windows is harder to maintain, update and to write extra addons for. Odoo is the easiest to manage and expand if you have it running on Linux.

Regards,
Yenthe

Discard
Author

Thanks. How about performance, does it it make any difference in any distro? which one is better for a server that Odoo is going to install on it?

Author

for example Arch linux or Ubuntu as server etc. ?

@Sajjad: Of course you do not install the Ubuntu Desktop on a server. The linux distro itself does not change the performance much.

@Yenthe: I consider it to be Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (not Ubuntu 16.x), as this is the longterm stable release.

Agreed that the LTS is most likely the best (16.04), I've got those running myself too. and @Sajjad: as Ermin mentioned the distro itself does not have a big impact on performance. Your best best is Ubuntu 16.04 server (in my opinion).

Best Answer

Linux Mint will be better option against ubuntu 

Discard

Why? Mint is based on Debian and Ubuntu and you do not install the desktop on a server anyway, so where is the benefit?

There is literally no added bonus for Mint over Ubuntu as far as I know. Why do you think so?

Best Answer

Hello Sajjad,

I think Linux Mint is Best Simple and Easy to Use. You can find Different Version available For Linux Mint. 

https://www.linuxmint.com/

Discard