This question has been flagged
2 Replies

We are using Odoo v8 and we'd like to improve the deployment of our in-house modules into production.

What are the good practices when upgrading custom modules ? At the moment we copy the latest version of the module into the addons folder, and trigger the update of the said module from the web interface (I do restart the server whenever it's required).

I forsee problems when I'm going to update existing (stored) fields in some of my models. I understand the Odoo ORM is going to create new storable fields but it doesn't have any clue if the new field comes from a renamed field or if it's a legit new field, so in the end we have to update our tables and move the values of the old field columns to the new field columns.

At the moment we tend to avoid modifying existing fields of our modules, as renaming those would make them appear empty on the user side (thank god Odoo doesn't drop non used columns).

With Hibernate (Java) it's possible to use different ddl strategies so the update of the schema is either the ORM's responsibility or the DBA's. Hibernate recommends the latter, because the update is more predictable. Is there a similar mechanism with Odoo ?

Discard
Author

up !

Best Answer

Hi,

When you get a new stored field after renaming the old one, you can pass the values from the old field to the new using a SQL commande in PGAdmin database (and after that you can drop the old if you want), in condition both of the new and old fields have compatible types (CHAR -> CHAR ...), otherwise you will have to use SQL converting functions.

For example let say you have a Char field named "description" in the model "My_model", and you want to rename it as "features":

To pass the old values from "description" column to the new "features", you have to run this sql query in postegres (PGAdmin):

update My_model set   features = description where features ='';

And by this you can merge the old values without losing the new ones.

Please Vote if you find my answer usefull.

Discard
Author

Thank you for your answer :) that's exactly what we are doing at the moment but as a control gate we'd like to prevent Odoo's ORM to "update" the database schema automatically so that changes like moving values from the old column to the new one become more explicit (which is good for maintainability). The trade-off in doing so is that we'd have to manually alter tables for Odoo's ORM to accomodate with its models, which can be acceptable in our case.

In the Java world, ORMs like Hibernate have such features (you can have a look at the hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto parameter in https://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/orm/5.0/manual/en-US/html/ch03.html). SQLAlchemy also have such feature through its Alembic tool.

Do you think there is a similar feature with Odoo ?