This question has been flagged
2 Replies

I would like to purchase a server for my odoo server
I would like to know the recomendation hardware to my server for 20 users?

Discard

there is a a very recent post with some opinions about this issue. If you search you might find it

Best Answer

It depnends on how many documents you will have. Commodity server (4-8 cores) is usually good enough when you have less than 1-5 thousands documents a month.

What is important to configure PostgreSQL correctly and have enough RAM for PostgreSQL (acctually OS) to hit cache when quering database. It is also good to use SSD disks to be sure that in cache miss query will be fast.

Marek Mosiewicz

http://consultantodoo.com

Discard

for postgres config a easy way on linux is to install pgtune, cd into the postgres config directory on ubuntu its /etc/postgresql/(version number)/main/ then run pgtune -i postgresql.conf -o postgresql.conf then restart your postresql server. It's helped so many times for me and helped make deployment so much quicker.

Author Best Answer

The hardware needed to run OpenERP varies widely depending upon the modules installed and the load (number of users, number of entries per day...) so only general guidelines can be given.

The database perfs depend directly upon the speed of the disks, so get the fastest disks you can. Good SSDs make wonders in this field.

OpenERP not a memory-hungry beast, but depending on your OS and tuning, more RAM can dramatically improve I/O speed.

The server part in is mostly single-threaded, so focus your CPU choice on the maximum core speed, not the number of cores, and get a processor capable of boosting a single core's speed when the context requires it.

When scaling up, consider using one or more dedicated servers for each tier:
- PostgreSQL database cluster nodes
- OpenERP Servers (preferably 1 server per database)

Discard

can you give an example (brand, model) of what kind of processor would be "capable of boosting a single core's speed when the context requires it" as you recommend?