This question has been flagged
4 Replies

What is the difference between an App, an Addon and a Module? Is there even a difference between Addon and Module?

It matters to me since I want to have a clear idea about what is mentioned. Nomenclature is important. Each project hsa its own names for things. E.g. Drupal has Modules and Themes, Joomla has 3 different things, Module, Component, Plugin.

Google "addon openerp" https://launchpad.net/openobject-addons https://launchpad.net/openerp-extra

To complete the question, does Odoo have something like themes (Drupal) or skins (MediaWiki)?

Discard

Where did you find the "addon" diciture?

Best Answer

There is a distinction between apps and modules. Modules are individual pieces/directories of code that extend introduce functionality. An app is a collection of modules, usually with a configuration option, that represent the same purpose (for example: Sale or Purchase).

Discard
Best Answer

Hello friend;

Here is the difference between the different terms.

APP:

App is an abbreviated form of the word "application." An application is a software program that's designed to perform a specific function directly for the user or, in some cases, for another application program.Which means that an app can contain many modules.

Ex: Odoo VoIP, Amazon-Odoo Connector...

ADDON:

The addons folder it is not supposed to be the one inside server. At the same level as server there's probably a folder named addons. we place our modules there.

Ex: hr: which is a module that contains configuration of department, employee, contract...

MODULE:

Some code developed to realise some thing and will be placed under /Addons to be a part of APP.

PS: - An App can contain many modules but in the same folder under addons as we can create many modules each one in a folder but under the Addons.

So that, in structure App is the purpose of modules which are defined under /Addons.

Best Regards.

Discard

nice details friend

Best Answer

I wouldn't know any difference, why does it matter? 😉

in OpenERP you can add custom modules to any "addon" directory you'd like; just make sure you have it in the path (as defined in your configuration file generally).

Discard