Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

What is Odoo Runbot ?

By
Ray Carnes
on 5/31/13, 6:13 PM 7,632 views

Some of the answers on this site refer to 'runbot'.

Can you explain what this is and how I can use it?

Ray Carnes

--Ray Carnes--
| 9 7 9
Greater Los Angeles, United States
--Ray Carnes--

Senior Odoo Analyst

OpenERP 6.1, 7.0 and Odoo 8.0, 9.0 (Since 2012)

Completed Functional and Technical Training.

Major Skills:

• Needs Discovery and Requirements Analysis;

• Function and Technical Specifications;

• Project Planning;

• Prototyping and Proof of concepts;

• Data migration;

• Configuration & Customization (UI and modules);

• Integration - data, business logic and service levels;

• Training and Knowledge transfer;

• Go Live support;

• Help desk;

• Version Migration.

I have over 20 years of experience empowering and enabling users with enterprise information systems that make a real and measurable difference in their ability to proactively manage their businesses and organizations. 

Ray Carnes
On 5/31/13, 6:13 PM

The OpenERP Runbot (or simply runbot) is a program monitoring and running branches on Launchpad belonging to the different OpenERP projects.

It is available at http://runbot.openerp.com and is a constantly up to date server running OpenERP for testing and demo purposes.

Several of the latest builds of the OpenERP branches (6.0, 6.1, 7.0, saas and trunk) as well as development and testing branches are available.

You log in with admin/admin.

There are generally two databases available 'all' (every module installed with demo data) and 'base' (no modules installed).

The home page of runbot shows green and red lights to indicate a build works (green) or doesn't work (red).

If you are having a problem with your OpenERP installation, you can check if the same problem occurs on runbot (in which case it is probably a bug) or doesn't occur (in which case it is probably a configuration problem).

You can also use runbot to see what is different about a newer build than the one you have installed.

Bear in mind this is a multi-user environment. You may see evidence of others using the system at the same time you are using it.

For OpenERP Partners, runbot is a platform where you can test the branches pushed on Launchpad.

EDIT: (To address question about Continuous Integration)

Hover over any branch with a RED indicator, and you will see a gear icon. Click it and select "Install Logs (error)". You will then be able to see a detailed logfile indicating what failed.

image description

Several logs indicating what happened during the build attempt will be available:

image description

start with test-all.txt

Hi Ray,

For CI, you would suggest using Runbot? The main drawback that I see in Runbot is that it runs all tests but does not tell me which is the test that fail. In a CI environment I would expect to see which are the tests that fails so I can go and fix them. But I think that this is not possible even when lunching OpenERP with test-enable right?

Damián Soriano
on 1/3/14, 12:56 PM

See my EDIT to my answer above.

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 1/4/14, 2:37 AM

Hi Ray, thanks for the reply. I know that this may be a detail but the log is quite verbose and finding where the error is and which is the test that fail is not easy.

I would have expected something like: <this> test fail. Where <this> is the name of the file and the module. This is how I saw most testings when programming in Java and other frameworks for example.

I think that this is not possible since OpenERP sever does not provider this information, am I right?

Damián Soriano
on 1/4/14, 1:22 PM

Can I upload my module to runbot and test it there? Where can I find some documentation about how to upload my module to test on runbot?

Moore Works, Dale E. Moore
on 1/4/14, 6:12 PM

3rd and 4th sentences at the top of the Runbot page under ABOUT read: "If you are a partner, you should be able to register your team or branches from your Partner Portal. You can also grab a copy and run it yourself." Does that help?

Bista Solutions US, Ray Carnes
on 1/5/14, 12:12 AM

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks Ray!

Moore Works, Dale E. Moore
on 1/5/14, 9:45 AM

Hi Ray,

Do you know where I could find information on writing tests for Odoo runbot?

Luke Branch
on 5/28/15, 10:57 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

2 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 5/31/13, 6:13 PM
Seen: 7632 times
Last updated: 5/28/15, 10:56 PM