Odoo Help

Welcome!

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

What exactly does updating "Base" module do?

By
Yoshi Tashiro
on 7/9/13, 11:13 PM 1,365 views

I think there can be situations where you may want to upgrade the "Base" module (i.e. update some translation, fix incomplete module uninstallation, etc.), but I'm not clear what exactly I should expect out of it.

I noticed that when you upgrade the Base module the modifications on views you made via "Manage Views" of developer mode just disappear while those on actions (via "Edit Action") stay effective.

Is this actually the expected result by upgrading Base module? (If this is the case we should always avoid making adjustments to views via Manage Views in developer mode for production database.) Any additional info is welcome!

Kevin McMenamin

--Kevin McMenamin--
| 5 2 6
Auckland, New Zealand
--Kevin McMenamin--
Kevin McMenamin
On 7/11/13, 9:34 PM

When you update base you end up updating all installed modules. I suggest that any changes you make to screens etc are done as a module rather than on the system - typically for our customers we create a views module which holds these sorts of customisations.

Thanks for your answer! I guess creating a module for views is the way to go.

Yoshi Tashiro
on 7/12/13, 12:33 AM

Grover Menacho

--Grover Menacho--
| 5 7 8
La Paz, Bolivia
--Grover Menacho--

Systems Engineer + MBA

Grover Menacho
On 7/11/13, 11:19 PM

If you update the module you are updating almost everything. Basically the views and the code behind views. If you want to make a change that persists on the time. You have to write a module. If you want to install your module in other server you can do it.

If you are making changes on the view you don't have to reinstall that module because everything is going to get cleared.

Thanks for your answer!

Yoshi Tashiro
on 7/12/13, 12:38 AM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

0 follower(s)

Stats

Asked: 7/9/13, 11:13 PM
Seen: 1365 times
Last updated: 3/16/15, 8:10 AM