This question has been flagged
3 Replies

I think there can be situations where you may want to upgrade the "Base" module (i.e. update some translation, fix incomplete module uninstallation, etc.), but I'm not clear what exactly I should expect out of it.

I noticed that when you upgrade the Base module the modifications on views you made via "Manage Views" of developer mode just disappear while those on actions (via "Edit Action") stay effective.

Is this actually the expected result by upgrading Base module? (If this is the case we should always avoid making adjustments to views via Manage Views in developer mode for production database.) Any additional info is welcome!

Discard
Best Answer

When you update base you end up updating all installed modules. I suggest that any changes you make to screens etc are done as a module rather than on the system - typically for our customers we create a views module which holds these sorts of customisations.

Extra details: There is a module (App) that is called "base". Every other module in Odoo depends on this one. You will need to clear the Apps filter to find it and be in Developer mode to verify (there are a few that have base in the name). Upgrading a module recreates and resets all XML created records from the module. Since all modules depend on base this has the effect of recreating every XML record defined in every module. Any records created by XML that were deleted or edited will be reset. This "fixes" common issues that occur when users delete things or edit Views or Menus or Window Actions etc that cause Odoo to not work correctly.

Discard
Author

Thanks for your answer! I guess creating a module for views is the way to go.

Worked in V17 already to resolve my error. Got a problem with the pdf generator that shows "A CSS error occured, using an old style to render this page".

Short overview what i did to get it run:

1. Login into Odoo as Admin
2. Go to settings and scroll down
3. I activate the dev mode with assets
4. i go to apps, clear the filter and search for base. - You need to Look for the App exactly called "Base".

Best Answer

If you update the module you are updating almost everything. Basically the views and the code behind views. If you want to make a change that persists on the time. You have to write a module. If you want to install your module in other server you can do it.

If you are making changes on the view you don't have to reinstall that module because everything is going to get cleared.

Discard
Author

Thanks for your answer!