This question has been flagged
4 Replies

Hi everyone,

I have this new 1U server with me which I plan to install OpenERP 7 open source.

2 x Intel Xeon 6C Processor Model E5-2620 95W 2.0GHz/1333MHz/15MB W/Fan

4 x 8GB (1x8GB, 2Rx4, 1.35V) PC3L-10600 CL9 ECC DDR3 1333MHz LP RDIMM

4 x IBM 1TB 7.2K 6Gbps NL SAS 3.5in G2HS HDD

It will cater multi companies (around 1 group and 10 subsidiaries). Total users around 80. But not all will use at the same time. Probably concurrent users around 30 - 40 at 1 time.

I have 2 options to install:- a. Install Ubuntu 12.04 and OpenERP 7 directly into this server. Thus can gain full power for this. or b. Install Proxmox or VMWare. Then create a few VMs with sufficient power.

e.g.

VM1 = OpenERP Server, Web, Addons (1TB, 15GB virtual memory, 16 cores vprocessors)

VM2 = PostgreSQL Database (separate from VM1)

Which one will be a better approach?

I read in the old forum, i think people going against the idea of virtual machines. But how about with my specs?

If I can use virtual machine, I do prefer. I can always upgrade my memory to 120GB or add 4 x processors. At least it is cheaper to buy additional boxes.

Any help? Thanks.

Discard

Hi, What would be the gain by installing it as a virtual machine, as you only need to have it installed in the server and all the users access it by the web browser so no separate licences or client installations is required so what is there actually to gain by a virtual installation?? Just a question as I'm no expert on this issue.. //Mats,

Author Best Answer

Hi everyone,

This is used by the same group of companies. All owned by the group :) But I will enable multi-companies feature. Basically 1 database rules them all :) In this box, I will have 2 VMs.

• VM1 - OpenERP Server, Web, Addons

• VM2 - PostgreSQL database (which I will replicate to other server box)

Is my hardware specs good enough? Normally how much virtual memory, virtual processors and hard disk will you allocate for OpenERP 7 VM?

How about PostgreSQL VM?

So I can conclude hosting my OpenERP 7 in a virtual machine has no effect on installing directly based on speed & performance of OpenERP 7 application?

For Xen, is it better than proxmox? This will be used for production not development.

We will use ubuntu server, thus I don't see why I need to worry about licensing.

Any help? Thanks.

Discard
Best Answer

I would vote for a solution with a virtualisation layer. In that case it is more easy to move to different hardware or create images and snapshots of the system.

Discard
Best Answer

If you are supporting different companies with the same hardware, definitely go with virtualization. It's just safer.

Personally, I use Xen for development. It's great to keep my customers, and my code, isolated.

Discard
Best Answer

We have been using the virtual machine mainly because then you can make experiments by using overlays (we use qemu-kvm for virtualization) and I agree with micha with other benefits. But of course with virtual machines it is important that you configure them well for your needs.

Discard