This question has been flagged
11 Replies

'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xb0 in position 16: invalid start byte

I have about 13k products that I need to get into OpenERP, so I tried exporting an example and then filling the fields with the information regarding all the other products but when I try importing it back it gives me the error on the first line.

Where is pòsition 16 and what exactly is causing this?

UPDATE: As Grover Menacho said, I did have "°" in my info, I erased those and now the error is as follows.

'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xc7 in position 3: invalid continuation byte

Discard

Copy your csv sheet to an Open Office spreadsheet and save as ods file and then save as csv form the ods format if you are using MS Excel. Excel does not format csv properly most times.

Author

That did not work, it keeps giving me the error: .'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xc7 in position 3: invalid continuation byte

Best Answer

I also had this problem once. When you choose your csv file to import, then select the "latin-1" encoding option from the Encoding drop down menu rather than the "utf-8". The "latin-1" option accepts the different symbols like the " ° " and this way I didnt have to modify the csv file at all.

Discard
Author

I do not have this drop down menu, do you know if I have to activate it somewhere and if so, where exactly?

No need to activate. After you browse to and select the CSV file, an option appears below that says "File Format Options..." You can expand that to select encoding.

Author

I found it, it worked now and imported all 12k products without a hitch, thank you.

Best Answer

You have a degree symbol or crossed d "°" or "ð" Check this and import it again.

Discard
Author

Thank you, it did have the "°" symbol.

Best Answer

This works on Macs and Windows versions of Excel:

In Excel, Save As..   and select format as Windows Comma Separated (.csv)

When importing into OpenERP change the + File Format Options ecoding from utf-8 to windows-1252.  

Discard
Best Answer

Hi,
I had this problem until I realized that Office has two csv formats in it. I saved using the "UTF-8" format and it worked. Hope this will save someone a lot of headache.

Discard
Best Answer

Did you save your csv with utf-8 coding? Remember that editing with Excel does not always work this way (usually the best choice is to use OpenOffice to be sure that coding is right). Otherwise, if you did, could you post a line with a product, which could not be imported?

Discard