Odoo Help

This community is for beginners and experts willing to share their Odoo knowledge. It's not a forum to discuss ideas, but a knowledge base of questions and their answers.

The addons-path <path> does not seem to be a valid Addons Directory!

Nicholas DeMarco
on 9/6/15, 1:55 AM 1,413 views

I'm progressing through Daniel Reis's book Odoo Developement Essentials

I am attempting to build a basic module. In fact, it is an empty module, containing only what Daniel states is necessary (the __init.py__ and the __openerp.py__ files). When I start Odoo with the module's addon-path listed, Odoo says "option --addons-path: The addons-path 'custom-addons' does not seem to be a valid Addons Directory!"

I use the following to start Odoo:

~/odoo-dev$ odoo/odoo.py -d v8dev --addons-path="custom-addons"

Per Daniel's instructions, my Odoo directory structure is:

/odoo    # holds the Odoo v8 files

__init.py__ is empty (used touch to create)

__openerp.py__ is

'name': 'To-Do Application',    'description': 'Manage your personal tasks',    'author': 'Daniel Reis',    'depends': ['mail'],    'application: True, }

I compared my addons and modules structures to an Odoo Community Association addon. My directory structure and file contents are syntactically the same.

From what I understand you need to provide the full path to the 'custom-addons' directory. In my setup my custom addons are in the following directory:

Therefore i'd start the server as follows:

odoo/odoo.py -d v8dev --addons-path="/opt/odoo/custom/addons"

If you'd like to add other addons directories you just need to separate them by a comma:

odoo/odoo.py -d v8dev --addons-path="/opt/odoo/custom/addons,/opt/odoo/custom/OCA/product-attribute"

I hope it helps.

Luke Branch
on 9/6/15, 4:00 AM

The trouble is not related to my specification of path. I inserted an app from the Odoo Community Association adjacent to my Todo_app and the server started normally (albeit with tons of errors due to missing dependencies required by the copied in app). Still looking...

Practichem, Nicholas DeMarco
on 9/6/15, 5:33 AM
Nicholas DeMarco
On 9/6/15, 5:13 PM

Apologies to anyone reading this. After taking a break, I saw I had created one file as __openerp.py__ instead of the required __openerp__.py.

glad to hear you figured it out.

Luke Branch
on 9/6/15, 8:19 PM

Your Answer

Please try to give a substantial answer. If you wanted to comment on the question or answer, just use the commenting tool. Please remember that you can always revise your answers - no need to answer the same question twice. Also, please don't forget to vote - it really helps to select the best questions and answers!

About This Community

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services. Read Guidelines

Question tools

1 follower(s)

Asked: 9/6/15, 1:55 AM
Seen: 1413 times
Last updated: 9/6/15, 5:13 PM