This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I am in the process of deciding upon a general server setup for my (small) company and have it narowed down to two choices: A Synology NAS or a 'regular' Debian server. The server will (among other things) be hosting the company's OpenERP database.

I have searched around and read the existing threads regarding running OpenERP on a Synology server but I am still in doubt. Could someone outline (or refer to such an outline) the drawbacks of running OpenERP on Synology compared to a regular server? What kind of functionality do you loose? Would you still have hands-on direct access the underlying SQL-database etc.?

Thanks.

Discard
Best Answer

If you want an easy and robust deployment, you go with Ubuntu 14.04 and standard Intel/AMD-based hardware. There are many people out there that have that environment for Odoo (formerly OpenERP). A "regular" Debian installation does work, but you might have more work adding python-libraries and other software that Odoo need and fewer people to ask if there are problems. The difference is small, so if you like Debian better, go with Debian. With Ubuntu and Debian you can have the latest and greatest releases of Odoo.

Synology are an even narrower platform, that means that the community working with it are smaller. There are a risk that Odoo (OpenERP) are not the latest release over time, a risk that you don't have all libraries you need to do what you want etc. You cant add more RAM or CPU that you can do with a conventional server or a VPS. If you have the harware, finds joy in getting things to work and have much time, then go for Synology.

The fastest and cheepest way to get an instans running of Odoo are a free account at odoo.com (up to two users i think) or rent a VPS digitalocean.com, rackspace, glesys.se etc

Discard
Author

Thank you for your reply, Anders. My concern regarding the Synology solution has to do with the access to the underlying SQL-database and the ability to perform actions, run scripts etc. on these data directly. I think I will play it safe and just go with a 'regular' Linux server setup. Thanks again.