This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I am very interested in setting up an automatic backup, so I don't have to manually backup the database multiple times a day. After taking a look at this and this post, I'm not sure whether I can use such a solution on my platform. I am using Windows Server 2003 to host my OpenERP package, can I make use of crontab as explained by Arif in the second post?

I never did something like this before, so any information given on this topic would be very much appreciated. I love using and learning from OpenERP, but it's not easy to do so when nearly all information seems to be written specifically for Linux.

Discard
Best Answer

This is something you'd want to read through. http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Automated_Backup_on_Windows

At any rate, I'd still suggest at least running a virtual machine with Ubuntu (or whatever other *nix distro you'd prefer otherwise) to host OpenERP on, rather than directly on Windows. The performance gain even in that scenario is worth looking into, and the support is much better. OpenERP is written on and for Linux, just ported to Windows.

Discard
Author

Thank you, Brett. This information is exactly what I was looking for!

I am aware hosting the server on a linux machine will boost the performance and loading times. I'll look into a guide to facilitate such a transition a little later, right now I'm cautious (read: afraid) of losing any data of our production database or creating too much down-time during the execution. I guess I'm still a newbie compared to some posters here, but I'm learning a lot each day.

Either way I greatly appreciate you taking the time to supply me this information. Thanks again, Brett. :)

The nifty thing about OpenERP's data management, take a backup of your database on your Windows box, then restore that backup to your Linux box. You can leave your windows box running until your 100% satisfied with your linux box, then just repeat the procedure when your ready to go live.

Hi, for a full backup, you should backup: - Database - Source code - Attached files: this is true in the case you decided to store documents outside of the database

@Jean I thought openerp saves everything in database ?

You can choose to store binaries/files outside of the database. The database record would still be there, but the binary field would be left empty.

Thanks Brett, thats what I was looking for. For me I have no experience on Linux and trouble is I have plenty of other software which runs only on windows and that need a backup too.

Dear Brett, I too am running OpenERP in Windows Server 2003. However, I was not able to follow the steps to create a backup. I ran into all sorts of issues including error messages that indicated me not being able to communicate to DB Template1. Hence, I tried to use pg_dumpall.exe from the command line. This also caused issues as I don't know what would be all the parameters. Shouldn't I try to backup as the superuser? If so what is the user name? Could you please help?

If you've installed a module manually, by copying it to an addons folder, then be careful to copy that module before attempting to restore your database or else...