This question has been flagged
2 Replies

In Manufacturing, under Repair Orders, with the mrp_repair module installed, I create a new a repair order, select all relevant information, and  select items to remove and add as per the repair that has been planned.

I then carry on to save and confirm the repair - start work on the repair.

When working on the repair however, i now realize that the repair is more complex, and more parts need to be replaced than previously thought when creating the original repair order. However, it is impossible to edit and add further items to the repair order.

Why is that?
Is this because more moves need to be planned, and therfore the the tool forces the user to cancel the repair order, and create a new one with the right quantities?
Can anyone confirm that the impossibility to edit repair orders once it has been confirmed/started repair is a normal feature of OE v7?
Thanks,

Discard
Best Answer

It has to do with the double accounting system and how it works.

For historical accuracy the original RO remains, in the proper workflow you would create a new RO and cancel the old one so you have both the record of the cancellation and change in work as it is now considered a new item.

This helps prevent any issues that might arise such as the customer alleging that you changed what they said. By canceling the old one and creating a new one (that the customer has agreed to), you are protected and have the documentation if the customer challenges it. 

Double accounting is awkward at first, but it is there to protect you.

Discard

I agree it is not practical, for a work in progress you might issue a second RO that extends the first? Not having used the Repair module, I am uncertain if it allows you to combine multiple RO on invoicing or if you would have to create a workflow to handle that.

Author Best Answer

Thanks nigel for your answer.
I indeed thought it would be under the double accounting system, but then again, this forces the duplication of information, especially when the procedure is always the same:
I still believe it is cumbersome to have to cancel to redo another one. If you put youself in the position of the repair worker, it is not too practical once you have agreed to work on the repair and realise the extent of the damage, when you wish to add and remove pieces for the repair, to have to delete and redo the repair order (with all the implications this creates, new repair number, etc.) 

Discard