This question has been flagged

Context

We are using the Contracts Management functionality in Odoo 9 for managing our Consulting Services, using the Products set as a "Service" and "invoice based on time and material" and tracking with "create a task and track hours", then assigning a Project as the analytic account on the Sales Order.  We need to capture consultants time against these auto-created tasks through the timesheets functionality (for ease of use, security and approval processes).

Problem

The Timesheet module doesn't seem to allow tracking of time against a task on a project, only against the project as a whole.  Which seems odd given the time tracking method used in the product, project and sales order for invoicing.  I'm not sure if this is a setting that I'm missing, or a module/extension I need to install, or something else entirely.

Tried So Far

1. Tried the various Product configurations for billing time and expense, though the current configuration is really the only way that our process works.  None of these made any difference.

2. Set the Project Settings to: "log work activities on tasks"

3. Looked for module to install, but could only find one suggested in this post: https://www.odoo.com/forum/help-1/question/enter-time-by-task-not-project-on-hr-timesheet-48780 - however this is not available for the latest v9 release.

4. Checked the list of activities that come out of the timesheet entry screen (in the Activities page) and found that the task is available to fill in at this point

5. Quickly looked at possibility of adding the task field from the Project in the timesheet entry form (assuming it would be available as per point 4 above), however this field isn't available in the Timesheet Data Object.

Any ideas?

Discard
Best Answer

It's a long time ago, but it might be of interest to others too.

When you report your times and want to record tasks, you can open your weekly time sheet but instead of posting your time in the summary, you just click on the time sheet tile and record your task times as time sheet activities. After saving, you see the summary and details (without tasks) in the regular time sheet view:

Discard
Author

Hi Erwin,

Which version of Odoo are you using?

This is not the view that I get in Odoo Enterprise 9 (from a June release update). It does not include that field.

The next version of the Enterprise release (Odoo 10) will include an updated timesheet app, which will solve this problem, and is expected in October this year.

I use Odoo 9.0 Community Edition Version 9.0c-20160805

Best Answer

Do you have "Bill Time on Tasks" installed?

After creating a new database with JUST that module installed, I see:

Discard
Author

Thanks for the reply Ray. Yes, "Bill Time on Tasks" is installed, and I do get the screen above as per point 4 in my question, however this does not appear in the Timesheet Form (hours per day against a project/activity in a grid, aka the traditional timesheet view the user is presented by default when creating a new weeks timesheet). This means that either the user has to enter their timesheet in the timesheet entry screen, then go to the activities page, and separately add tasks against each entry (assuming 1 day=1 task), or they don't bother with the timesheet entry screen at all and just manually create activities, which whilst not outrageously difficult, is a rather odd situation and will be confusing to consultants, especially those that are new. I'm looking for a way to make the timesheet entry screen include this task dropdown selection field so that it behaves how most timesheet applications do (and the consultants are used to). I guess it could just be a case of me modifying the timesheet view with a new field in the same way the activities page include it? Or are the data models accessed different between the two?

Author

Just looking at this, it seems as though the Activities Page lists items from the account.analytic.line data model, whereas the timesheet entry page uses the hr.timesheet.sheet data model. Being very new to Odoo, I would assume that customisation of the view for the timesheet entry page to include a field from the analytic account data model would not be possible?

I understand your question now. You are correct. As designed, Odoo has users enter time for the Project, not the task, via the Timesheet. Time for the task can be logged via the Activities screen or via the Task itself - in both cases they are added to the Timesheet - the details tab shows that the Task is denoted in the Description column. Community modules addressed this for previous versions of Odoo but I don't know of anything for v9.

Author

Thanks Ray. It seems we're stuck with the more awkward approach until a community module is released (or Odoo make good on the design).

What if it isn't awkward? What if, as people used it this way, they got used to it and it worked out just find for them in the end? I happen to find it more akin to the way I work. At my previous company we had 8 people logging time this way - with internal projects and tasks for the common non billable things. Since I had to update the task I worked on with notes/progress it made sense to log my time right there. Depends I guess how attached people are to one design and how open they are to another.

Author

Unfortunately it makes the process awkward - for one, it doesn't have the Timesheet approval process behind it, which is required if this is part of a purchasing and sales invoicing process. This means we will need to have the timesheet created by the Consultant to cover that requirement, then an administrator would have to manually assign tasks to the timesheet entries for our consultants before running the billing cycle. Not really the right way to do things IMHO. We also don't manage tasks as "tasks in a project work management sense" in here (we use JIRA, JIRA Agile and JIRA Portfolio internally and Customer specific systems when consulting for proper task management), we are using the tasks in the Projects to act as part of the billing mechanism - this is how Contracts Management is designed in Odoo, for better or worse, so this is how we connect sales, work activities and supplier bills (when it is an external contractor vs internal employee).