This question has been flagged
1 Reply

I am new in using Odoo (version 9) and trying to figure out the differences between the following kind of user: Portal User (probably a customer/user with Portal Access?), Internal User, Contact, Employee, Project User, Project Manager, etc.

I noticed the followings:

(1) I created a new internal user ("Settings" main menu --> "Users")

(2) the user was somehow doubled and it could be found under "Contacts" main menu also (not only in Settings --> Users);

(3) if I tried to grant portal access rights in "Contacts" main menu, the system gives me the "Some contacts have the same email as an existing portal user" message;

(4) if I deleted the internal user, and left only the user under "Contacts" main menu; I was able to grant portal access rights

Question 1: is it not allowed a user to be a 'portal user' and 'internal user' in the same time? 

Question 2: how/where can I access/set the Portal menu (although the "Portal" module appears to be installed and I can log in to the portal, can not find where to configure)?

Question 3: is there a best practice/documentation available somewhere?

Discard

Hi Ray,

Thanks for such a good explanation, keep it up!

Best Answer

Contacts are people or companies.

Users are people or companies who can login to Odoo.

Users and Contacts are very similar - but a Contact will never have a login, password or be a member of the security groups.  

A user will always show up in the list of Contacts (since it is a person!), but a Contact will only show up in the list of Users if you create a user record for them.

A Portal User is usually a Customer with portal access - someone who only gets to see 'their' documents.

To manage portal access, you do this from the Customer (the same as Contact) record.  The action menu gives you the option "Portal Access Management" which creates a user for them.

A User is someone who can login to Odoo - so this includes Portal Users, Employees, external users like your Accountant, etc.

An Internal User is someone who gets more access than Portal Users, and generally works for your company.

Since users are uniquely identified by their email address - the warning you are getting tells you there is already a user record with the same email address as the Contact you are trying to create a user for.

A Contact is either a person or a company - so again this can include users (are automatically contacts), employees, prospects, suppliers, etc

An Employee is someone who works for your company - they can be related to a user, but they don't have to be.  It is possible to have employees that never log in.

A Project User and Project Manager is a group that internal users belong to to give them permission to manage or access project information.  

Discard

Hi,

am using Survey module. I have created a user from "Don't have an account" that user is need to access survey module. I add that user in Survey/User Group and from Menu Tab>>Add Survey Module. But when i Login with that user Test/test. How that user will directly log in with survey module.