This question has been flagged
5 Replies

What version of Python is going to give the least amount of headaches for Version 8 of OpenERP?

My head will hurt enough getting it running on FreeBSD so I'd like to avoid pain of running a too-new version of Python like 3.3

Now my self-inflected wounds are minimal historically when I move minor versions of PostgreSQL but will picking the 9.3 version of PostgreSQL bring trouble I'm not looking for?

Discard

There will be problems when trying to backup database. It will fail becouse pg_dump is different version than server. Try to run manully and you will see the error. Odoo server will fail on backup but won't tell you the real cause.

Best Answer

In my experience, the new Odoo v8 will give you syntax errors on any other python version than 2.7.X . The newer python versions from 3.x and upwards will have subtly different syntax and therefor will come to a halt on running the server. Similairly, the 2.6.X versions of python all miss a backported 3.x functionality which will become apparant when you upgrade your modules (from the top of my head, the functionality was needed in sale module).

I have succesfully worked with postgres 9.X on v8. Older databases need to be dumped (pg_dump) and restored (pg_restore) outside of the OpenERP client, pref. using "--format=c". Thus far, this seem to have worked for me.

Discard
Best Answer

There should be no problem running the standard delivery of OpenERP 7 with PostgreSQL version 9.2 & 9.3. However, if you were using a third party module that uses removed features in PostgreSQL 9.3, there would be problems for you. My recommendation is just to stick with PostgreSQL 9.1 since it has been proven to be stable and good for production. Version 9.3 of PostgreSQL should need more time to reach the requirement of production environment.

Discard

There are claims that running OpenERP with postgresql 9.2 provides a marked performance improvement over 9.1. I don't know about 9.3.

Yes, you are right. The performance is really improved in PostgreSQL, especially when you compile PostgreSQL 9.2 from source code. It also consumes less server resource than the previous version of PostgreSQL. We are running ab't 170 instances of OpenERP with a dedicated PostgreSQL 9.2 (on CentOS 6.4). Those just consume around 4GB RAM to serve ab't 90 concurrent connections.

Best Answer

Im running v7 with postgres 9.3 without any problem, and I have tested v8 with python 2.7 same as v7

Discard
Best Answer

Per a GitHub comment on 7 January 2015 by Odoo's Chief Technical Officer, they are targeting Python 2.7 for all current development.

Discard

@Stephen if I understand this correctly they will still use Python 2.7 in Odoo 9? I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to upgrade to 3.x by then. :(

I can't read the mind of Odoo but it seems that moving from 2.x to 3.x requires a lot of refactoring of the code. And they have been back porting new features from 3.x into 2.7.x so there is no need to upgrade. But maybe you should ask odoo directly.

Best Answer

Odoo is very "picky" about Python: it won't work at all with any version of Python >= 3, and may have some rare problem with version < 2.7, so 2.7 is highly recommended.

Regarding PostgreSQL, on the other hand, Odoo has almost no problem and in fact each newer version in my experience increases performances of Odoo and adds some useful tools (particularly 9.3 and 9.4).

So, my recommendation is to use Python 2.7 and the newest stable version of PostgreSQL that works.

Discard